Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Pet ID tags

• 1.  Pet ID tags

Posted 10-04-2022 07:27 AM
    Hello!
    My organization is looking into providing all animals who exit our facility with an ID tag prior to their departure with the hope that if the pet were to become lost a citizen would be able to return them to their home without having to bring them in to be scanned for a chip. Do any other facilities do this and if so how do you go about it?
    #ReturntoHome(LostPetReunification)

------------------------------
    Tara Mansker
    Foster Community Engagement Coordinator
    Albuquerque Animal Welfre

• 2.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 10-04-2022 10:42 AM
    Hi Tara,
    We just purchased an iMarc engraver machine to provide ID tags for all animals leaving our Rescue.  We ask for a minimal donation of $5.00 for each customized tag!  Our community loves it!

Barbara Grover
    President
    Priest River Animal Rescue
    Priest River

• 3.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-16-2023 12:11 PM

Hi Barbara. It's been a bit since you'd posted this and I wanted to check in to see how you like the machine ?  I'm looking to get a tag engraver for our shelter and curious about cost and ease of use? Thanks for any info! Kim

Kim Kehoe
    Development Coordinator
    Humane Society of the Ochocos

• 4.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 10-05-2022 09:01 AM
    I am a huge fan of the iMarc tag machine, which someone else mentioned. It is a workhorse that lasts forever. Price range is around $2500. The only problem is that it is a bit heavy and bulky. I recently stumbled across Vet Scribe: Engraving Machine - VetScribe
    It only weighs 23 pounds and can be plugged into a car, making it easy to use at offsite events. If anyone on here has one of these, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I understand it's super affordable, too. 

ID tags are in my opinion one of the most important aspects of keeping pets out of the shelter. Granted, microchips are equally as critical, but ID tags immediately provide a finder with something they can do without having to take the animal anywhere or seek help from others. ID tags are affordable and I hope to see the day where no dog in America is without one. I have found that people will gladly make a small donation toward a tag if you are unable to provide them for free. Asking for donations often reaps more revenue than selling them for a fixed price. All animals leaving our shelters should be wearing a collar and tag (even, cats!! but cats definitely need a chip since those buggers often won't keep collars on).

Gina Knepp
    National Shelter Engagement Director
    Michelson Found Animals Foundation
    Los Angeles, California
    916-230-4533

• 5.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-16-2023 12:13 PM

Hi @Gina Knepp   It's been a bit since you'd posted this and I wanted to check in to see how you like the iMarc machine and its cost?  Did you go forward with VetScribe? If so, how do you feel about their machine and its contract?  I'm looking to get a tag engraver for our shelter and curious about costs and ease of use? Thanks for any info! Kim

Kim Kehoe
    Development Coordinator

• 6.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-17-2023 01:35 PM

The local shelter I was helping in Idaho did get the iMarc and loved it. When I worked in Sacramento, we had two of them. Incredibly reliable machines that last forever. I did not purchase the VetScribe, still waiting to find someone that has to determine if they like it or not.

Gina Knepp
    Los Angeles, California
    916-230-4533

• 7.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-18-2023 08:41 AM

Thank you so much for the reply and info!  

Kim Kehoe
    Development Coordinator

• 8.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-16-2023 02:22 PM

Hi Tara, 

Our organization does provide id tags for each and every pet that gets adopted out of our rescue. As a matter of fact it is also in our adoption contract that each pet keep their pet tag on at all times. our tag does not have the pets name on it tho just "This is a rescued pet, If found Please call Hooks Home Bound Rescue at 714-388-6842" and the color is bright yellow. We also micro-chip each and every pet while inside our rescue. We ask the adopter to go get a tag of their own with pets name and their number on that tag and add it to the collar(it is not to be in place of). We have be very lucky to get our tags made on an app called "Temu" for cheap . Good luck on your next step on doing this great item!

Blaze Thall
    Prsident
    Hooks Home Bound Rescue

• 9.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-17-2023 07:55 AM

For our small breed rescue, I buy ID tags in bulk from a guy on eBay for a few cents each, engraved with the rescue's contact info.  I buy enough of them so that we only need to repurchase every year or so.  We also buy cheap "go home" collars so every adopted dog goes home with a collar and our tag.  We ask adopters to leave them on at least until they get a permanent tag -- some leave them on forever, and quite a few dogs over the years have found their way back to me (and eventually back home) as a result of "our" tag after getting lost.   They hang out at my house until the adopter can come and get them, so at least they're not in a shelter (this has saved a few adopters the expense of paying the shelter fee or AC fine associated with a "dog catcher" pick up.  I have a scanner at the house, so it's easy to get their chip number and figure out who they are to call their people.

We also use the rescue's tag for all of our foster homes, if they don't have their own foster tag. 

Maggie Thomas
    President
    Red Stick German Shepherd Rescue

• 10.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-17-2023 09:27 AM

I am personally a big fan of the PetHub tag. They are very affordable, durable, and memorable. With a QR code and typically 2 phone numbers associated with the tag, along with a branded logo (if your shelter elects to do so), they seem to be incredibly successful in getting lost pets home. 

Here is a link to their site in case anyone is interested: 

PetHub | Your Pet Connected

Gina Knepp
    Los Angeles, California
    916-230-4533

• 11.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-17-2023 12:37 PM

Hi Maggie !

Thanks for sharing this! I'm also a big fan of bulk purchases and  scoring great deals.  Would you have a link to the Ebay product by any chance that I can check out ? 

Thank you !

Stella Plit
    President
    Rescue City

• 12.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-17-2023 12:59 PM

The eBay vendor is "laserdog" -- he'll negotiate prices by PM for bulk purchases.  Last time I think they were around 0.65 each, but it's been a while.   Ask him to cut you a deal for 100+ tags.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/300344240921

I just dug up his contact info:  Sales@lazrart.com -- I would email him directly instead of going through eBay to save him their cut of so that can give you lower pricing.

Another tip for collars is Dollar Tree -- you can order quantities online.  They're thin, cheap collars, but for temporary go-home collars, they're perfectly serviceable.   Better/nicer collars can be purchased in bulk from Canis Gear through their "shelter packs" of "Value Line" collars-- with or without matching leashes -- Products     They have a cute way to get your social media supporters to buy you collars for bulk shipping -- Free Collars

Canis Gear remove preview
    Free Collars
    This is how to get Free Collars, Leashes & Martingales for your Dog Rescue: 170 Martingale Collars in 1 Day-Free Recently, one of our clients posted this on their FACEBOOK PAGE, along with the photos, and then we shipped them 170 Dog Collars (at no cost to them).
    View this on Canis Gear >

)

Maggie Thomas
    President
    Red Stick German Shepherd Rescue

• 13.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-17-2023 02:04 PM

Incredible! thank you so much for all of the wealth of information and links! so helpful ! 

Stella Plit
    President
    Rescue City

• 14.  RE: Pet ID tags

Posted 07-19-2023 08:50 AM

I work at a high volume spay/ neuter provider and we use Dragon Engravers. Their customer service is excellent and after using them at multiple locations for 10+ years we haven't had to replace any machines. Here is the link to their website: https://dragonengravers.com/

Hope this helps!

Robert Knox
    Director of Programs
    Texas Coalition for Animal Protection (TCAP)