Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Going Public

Posted 08-26-2021 06:28 AM
    Good morning!

For those shelters who have started returning healthy strays back to where they came from, do you have any examples of what you put out to your community in way of a FB post or newspaper article?  I'm working on something now and though I have the facts and the science behind why this should be done, I am struggling with how to begin.  
    Thank you!
    #CommunityCatManagement

------------------------------
    Kimberly Jones
    Humane Society of Washington County

• 2.  RE: Going Public

Posted 08-26-2021 06:41 AM
    We have been returning cats to the field for approximately a year now (Animal Service Officers in Animal Service trucks - in broad daylight).  In order to keep the social media trolls at bay we decided not to put out a large social media blast.  What we have done instead is put out social media posts about all of the programs we offer with links to details on our website.  The totality of our programming provides credibility to what we are doing. It is much easier to educate one caller at a time rather than taking to social media to "fight the masses".  We have found that after conversations with callers or people who visit our facility we have not had any issues.  People are a lot more understanding when given facts and not faced with the peer pressure of social media.  Our community has completely embraced our community cat program.

Mike Wheeler

Director
    Cabot Animal Support Services
    501-743-1438

• 3.  RE: Going Public

Posted 08-26-2021 07:07 PM

Hi Kimberly,

We have a Community Cat Communications Guide online you can review which might help you craft your messaging. If you write a press release and would like me to review it, I would be more than happy to! 

Monica Frenden
    American Pets Alive