We Foster Challenge

View Only
  • 1.  Foster's owned pets and adoption

Posted 04-06-2022 04:03 PM
    In regards to today's huddle, I'm wondering if those who have fosters, and they have their own pets, do you require those pets be up to date on vaccines as well as altered? Especially for times when you place an un altered non vaccinated animal with a foster and they don't have vet appointment(s) to have these done yet but are scheduled in the near future to be done?

Also, for those rescues and shelters that have done away with home visits and landlord checks, are you larger organizations that just simply don't have the time and resources to do so or are there smaller rescues and organizations who have done the same?

Thanks for any helpful input!

------------------------------
    Tracy Hanson
    Ellie's Legacy Pet Rescue

• 2.  RE: Foster's owned pets and adoption

Posted 04-07-2022 05:53 AM
    Hi Tracy! 

Our foster application just asks if they pets in the home are UTD on vaccinations for liability sake. We don't seek out those records from the foster or their veterinarian. If we are placing puppies or kittens in foster, we are mindful to place in homes without other animals or to stress the importance of keeping them separate. So far, things have been successful.

Emily Roberts
    Cortland County SPCA
    she/her

• 3.  RE: Foster's owned pets and adoption

Posted 04-07-2022 02:59 PM
    Thanks Emily!
    Does your organization do home visits, reference checks and landlord check/verification if applicant is renting? Or have you also gone away with these parts of the application process of adopting a pet from your organization?
    Thanks,

Tracy Hanson

• 4.  RE: Foster's owned pets and adoption

Posted 04-08-2022 06:31 AM
    Tracy - 
    Our organization has never done home visits, but we did used to ask for references and landlord approval. I managed to get references off the application and for awhile, even removed landlord information. We followed the advice of Adopters Welcome and stated on the application "some landlords may have pet limits/restrictions or require a deposit. Have you discussed this with your landlord? Y/N?" which I thought would cover us as far as liability goes. However, there was a LOT of pushback from my Board of Directors and it was ultimately, unfortunately, added back to our application process. 
    The main reason it was so important to the Board was that the landlords in the area also have some pull with the legislatures (or are one in the same) and we are a municipal shelter who relies on their support for our funding. 
    It is something I am still working to change within my organization.

Emily Roberts
    Shelter Operations Manager
    Cortland County SPCA
    she/her

• 5.  RE: Foster's owned pets and adoption

Posted 04-08-2022 07:04 AM
    Thank you for your input Emily! I'm the newest board member to our rescue even though I've been a foster with us longer so I just came in to this is how we do things! I know half of the board members would give major push back on omitting landlord and reference checks! 
    Thankfully, we've only had like 2 kitties, quite recently actually, who were returned in a surrender so I do feel like our processes have benefits from them. 
    We still have the one offs of reminding them it states in our application of checking with landlord and we've found out animals either aren't allowed in rental properties or they're already at max limit rental and city limit wise.

Tracy Hanson