Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Community Conversations - 5/22/23 - De-escalation for Field Services: Employing a Community Centric Approach

Posted 05-18-2023 11:08 AM

Updated 5/22/23 at 3:32pm - Recording now available to watch on-demand! 

We hope to see you on Monday, May 22, 2023 at 11am PT for our next Community Conversations call.

We will be joined by @Vincent Medley, Maddie's® Human Animal Support Services Project Director at Human Animal Support Services (HASS) for an important presentation on, "De-escalation for Field Services: Employing a Community Centric Approach." 

The largest and most consistent community outreach team in animal welfare are field services officers. There is no question that they are in the community, but what are their primary objectives? Field services are governed by ordinances, laws, and regulations, as well as internal organizational policies that may include utilizing a citation book, warning notices, and other enforcement tools. A punitive approach leads to more pets being unnecessarily separated from their family, heavy fines that cause financial burdens, and emotionally-charged encounters for both the officer(s) and community members. By adopting a community-oriented approach focused on relationship building, outreach, education, connecting support services, lost pet reunification, and more, field services provide a vital connection point at the intersection of people, pets, and the support they need to keep them together. In this session, we will discuss the new and emerging approach to field services that establishes connections and builds bridges with our communities, government, and animal welfare partners, and where to begin when transitioning to a community-oriented approach.

Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration

If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like. After you watch the recording or attend the call live, be sure to complete this May entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-may23-giveaway.htm

#CommunityPartnerships*
    #EducationandTraining
    #FieldServicesandPublicSafety*
    #LawsandPublicPolicy
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/22/23 - De-escalation for Field Services: Employing a Community Centric Approach

Posted 05-22-2023 04:02 PM

Thanks to the 227 attendees who joined us for today's call! The recording is now available to watch on-demand. Below you'll find a recap of the agenda, resources and highlights from the chat. Be sure to complete this entry form if you joined us live or caught the recording for your chance to win a grant of up to $10k: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-may23-giveaway.htm.

We are taking a break next Monday in observance of the Memorial Day holiday and will be back in action on Monday, June 5.  

Agenda

• Welcome from Hosts:
      • Ed Jamison, Chief Executive Officer, Operation Kindness
      • Bobby Mann, Chief Programs Officer, Humane Rescue Alliance
    • Question of the Day: What would you do if you didn't work in animal welfare?
      • "I would be a worm farmer!" - Nancy Cullins
      • "I would work in government operations, community development, planning and development." - Jenny Webber
      • "What my dad did. Fiberoptic Engineering." - Nicole Ryan
      • "Hello from HSNCF in Gainesville, FL. If I wasn't in Animal Welfare, I would be in homeless services likely doing development work 🙂" - Riley Yates
      • "I'd write about rescue and being vegan. Maybe do training or speaking gigs. Actually between rescue jobs right now." - Vicky DeGroote
      • "Hi from BARCS in Baltimore! If I didn't work in animal welfare, I'd love to be a YA book writer" - Michelle Pease Kalaskey
      • "I'm retired from a career with the University of Arizona as a scientific journal editor and a web developer. In the past, I've also worked in city government and banking. If I wasn't in Animal Welfare now, I think I would be a writer and professional student." - Mary Flores
      • "I think I'd be in horticulture, but the moment of truth would be when I encounter bugs." - Irene Chansawang
      • "If I weren't in animal welfare, I like to think I'd be a famous novelist. Nothing but thrillers. :)" - Jennifer DeFosse
      • "Nat Geo Wildlife Photographer" - Nat Geo Wildlife Photographer
      • "Private Investigator" - Vincent Medley
      • "Travel blogger and tour guide" - Stacy Beckley
      • "I would work in a florist." - Julie Bank
      • "Museum archivist :)" - Jenna Riedi
      • "SNL Performer" - Laura Connors
      • "Oh yes, I'd also love to be on SNL! I'd do it for free! Would and have done rescue for free, but we all need a job." - Vicky DeGroote
      • "Professional clown." - Vaughn Maurice
      • "I was a hydrologist and fisheries biologist" - Karen Vandersall
      • "Travel Agent" - Cora Meyers
      • "I'd really love working in animal conservation" - Carina Graham
      • "I heard cats for a living - Project Manager for Idaho Forest Group Save animals every other hour of the day, lol" - Stephanie Devine
      • "Id raise Icelandic sheep and spin, weave, knit and crochet all the time. I also longarm quilt and am a beekeeper." - Cinder Wilkinson-Kenner
      • "Funeral Home Director" - Nanette McCann
      • "Something to do with Marine Mammals" - Susan Ellis
      • "a Monk" - Stephen Knight

National Updates

Presentation: De-escalation for Field Services Employing a Community-Centric Approach

Highlights From The Chat

• "Admittedly, I am new to animal welfare, and I had no idea that the times I see people in management roles that look like me (A black woman), would far and few between." - Nicole King
    • "Ed is definitely amazing. Being a young leader at the municipal level in this industry (and in Texas), it's great to follow those who have paved a great way for us to follow." - Ashley Rodriguez
    • "So much healthier for the animal owner! Slow transition out" - Vickie One Health Clinic
    • "Love hearing your personal journey and experience. An animal hoarding case also started me on my evolution. Towards community centered animal services." - Allison Cardona
    • "Avenger with tucked pants = Enthusiastic! 😆❤️There was room there to de-escalate/manage positively your energy. 🙂 Helping people, helps animals for sure!" - Lisa Pearce
    • "There is also a shortage of vets. Here in Austin, I've heard stories from my vet about clients that had an emergency and could not get into an ER because they were at their limit. It wasn't money or transportation. The facilities were simply unable to take more. Lack of vets and staff is huge here." - Penny Leisch
    • "It would be great if Vet Techs could earn licensing something akin to Nurse Practitioner or Physicians Assistant. Help with many nonsurgical things that only vets do now." - Vicky DeGroote
    • "New Census information out shows 10% of the nation's 3,142 counties experienced high poverty rates for an extended period." - Veronica Frescas
    • "This Message should be a National Public Announcement." - Steve Marrero
    • "We gets those calls all the time.  There are many programs for people but not for people with pets" - Maris Brown
    • "This is so useful for South Florida rescues!" - Asli (Ashley) Akkaya
    • "We are very much an Education before Citation department. My officers know to help if they can before enforcement needs to be taken." - Ashley Rodriguez
    • "Some laws are ridiculous. In Ohio, I was facing up to a year in jail because a pet goose wandered into a neighbor's yard." - Donna Miller
    • "We have a local pet food supply store in Vermont that donates food and supplies to rescues when they cannot sell the products due to damaged packaging but the items themselves are still good." - Amy Frye
    • "Also the No Empty Bowl Project through the SPCA-monthly pet food giveaways to those in need-if someone cannot travel some volunteers will also drop off pet food." - Julie Nettifee
    • "Another awesome presentation. This one outlining the new approach to caring for people and their pets." - Augusta Farley
    • "I loved this webinar...it was about being compassionate and doing so with an open minded and a problem-solving approach! Thank you!" - Nicole King
    • "THANK YOU {{{ standing ovation}}}}}" - Monica Zinchiak
    • "reach out to HASS for any follow up questions! we're here to help you with anything you need!" - Nicole Hazzard
    • "Thank you, Vincent! Truly inspirational!!" - Natasha Ottati
    • "Thank you! This is a highly needed convo <3" - Jaimee Leibfried

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/22/23 - De-escalation for Field Services: Employing a Community Centric Approach

Posted 05-22-2023 05:15 PM

Unanswered question from the chat - "What is your suggestion with dealing with vocal anti-HASS model in the community?

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/22/23 - De-escalation for Field Services: Employing a Community Centric Approach

Posted 05-24-2023 08:31 AM

First I would ask that you contact me directly so we can discuss the issues .  I can connect you with our MarComm team who can support you in helping with the messaging around community based solutions.  Keep in mind that HASS may seem to local people like an outside agency that is making decisions for their government shelter.  We like to be in the background, supporting solutions, so it is recommended that you brand your community based programs with messaging your stakeholders will support and use us at HASS as your support, proof of concept and informational resource. My email is vincent.medley@austinpetsalive.org

Vincent Medley
    Maddie's Human Animal Support Services Director
    Austin Pets Alive

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/22/23 - De-escalation for Field Services: Employing a Community Centric Approach

Posted 05-25-2023 05:39 AM

Hello, This may be elementary but do Field Service Personnel   include Animal Control Officers?

Mary Lou Maraganis
    President
    Animal Rescue Konnection
    Gloucester MA

• 6.  RE: Community Conversations - 5/22/23 - De-escalation for Field Services: Employing a Community Centric Approach

Posted 05-25-2023 09:58 AM

Yes Mary!!! Field personnel does include Animal Service Officers.  For the most part, ASOs represent the largest group in the field.  

Vincent Medley
    Maddie's Human Animal Support Services Director
    Austin Pets Alive