Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Community Conversations - 7/17/23 - Rural Roads: Lifesaving's Longest Mile

Posted 07-13-2023 11:21 AM

Updated 7/17/23 at 2:02pm - Recording now available to watch on-demand

We hope to see you on Monday, July 17, 2023 at 11am PT for our next Community Conversations call for a presentation on "Rural Roads: Lifesaving's Longest Mile" from Executive Director at Good Shepard Humane Society, @Cole Wakefield.

Join Cole Wakefield as he explores the Rural Road: Lifesaving's Longest Mile. Cole will highlight some major challenges facing rural or otherwise isolated organizations. Cole will also discuss ways to approach those challenges, how he addresses those challenges at his rural organization, and what national animal welfare leaders can do to support rural communities. Cole hopes his presentation will help spur conversation and action on this crucial issue.

Register here for our Monday Community Conversations Calls: maddies.fund/CommunityConversationsRegistration

If you are unable to make it live on Monday, this thread will be updated with the recording and resources so you can watch and share whenever you'd like.  After you watch the recording or attend the call live, be sure to complete this new July entry form to enter to win a grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-jul23-giveaway.htm

#AccesstoCare
    #Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Maddie's Pet Forum Admin
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Community Conversations - 7/17/23 - Rural Roads: Lifesaving's Longest Mile

Posted 07-17-2023 11:54 AM

Thank you so much for that helpful webinar. It has definitely brought some useful information addressing some issues I've been having.   I've looked at the program before and I'm trying to implement a stronger adoption rate and training for staff to get animals adopted. I also live in an area where nobody is taking dogs because they themselves are full in a rural area. 

Christina Edwards
    ACO I
    Tuolumne County Animal Control

• 3.  RE: Community Conversations - 7/17/23 - Rural Roads: Lifesaving's Longest Mile

Posted 07-17-2023 02:32 PM
      |   view attached

Thanks to the 160+ people who joined us for today's Community Conversations call. The recording is now available to watch on-demand. Below you'll find a recap of the agenda, resources and attached is a copy of Cole's presentation. Be sure to complete this form when you watch a Community Conversations call in July to enter to win up to a $5k grant: https://www.maddiesfund.org/weekly-community-conversations-jul23-giveaway.htm

Agenda

• Welcome from hosts
    • Question of the Day: What is your favorite children's book?
      • "Black Beauty" - Debra DeVries, June Thomas
      • "Caps for Sale" - Cole Wakefield
      • "Chocolatina" - Christina Edwards
      • "Owl Babies" - Kathy Janssen
      • "If you give a mouse a cookie" - Tanya
      • "The Giving Tree" - Michelle Russillo
      • "Walter The Farting Dog! Always a hit with my nieces and nephews too" - Riley Yates
      • "The Incredible Journey (a cat and two dogs!)" - Erin Hooks
      • "Misty of Chintoteague!" - Debra DeVries and June Thomas
        • "The whole series is amazing and historical virginia" - Cinder Wilkinson-Kenner
      • "Ming Lo Moves A Mountain" - Sarah Aguilar
      • "My fav books were all the Black Stallion Books by Walter Farley." - Mary Flores
      • "Oh, the Places You'll Go! Dr Seuss" - Rich Vedas
      • "I still cry over Where the Red Fern grows and Old Yellow" - Sabrina Hill
      • "Should I Share My Ice Cream by Mo Willems" - Jyothi Robertson
      • "Charlotte's Web!" - Liz Wheeler
      • "The Yearling!" - Cliff Cullen
      • "The black stallion series" - Tracy Arvidson
      • "My Friend Flicka" - Doris Kempton
      • "island of the blue dolphins" - Sarah Davis and Cliff Cullen
      • "Marley and Me" - Maris Brown
      • "Click Clack Moo series." - Amy Charles
      • "I still love the Beatrix Potter books -- animals and great art! The Red Pony broke me." - Tracy Brad
      • "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" - Nicole King
      • "Watershed Down is a good adventure book about bunnies." - Kelly Clardy
      • "Wrinkle in Time" - Linda Rubin
      • "The Berenstain Bears :)" - Jenna Riedi
      • "Curious George series" - Karen Vandersall
      • "Trumpet of the Swan" - Candace Brown

• National Updates
    • Today's Presentation: Rural Roads: Lifesaving's Longest Mile - Weekly Community Conversations 7/17/23 (recording starts at 07:52)
    • Highlights From The Chat
      • "Thanks so much for including us Canucks @Cole!!!" - Kathy Duncan
      • "This Montanan really appreciates this orientation with ideas of rural." - Molly Sumridge
      • "Clark County is huge part of our state and a vast majority of that is very rural.  You can drive hours and stay in Clark County" - Maris Brown
      • "Such a great point about Indigenous population. I'm in AZ where there are great reservation areas that are resource deserts." - Mary Flores
      • "My home in okanogan co Washington. 1700sqm no agencies" - Cinder Wilkinson-Kenner
      • "Nearly 700 miles of South Carolina's coastal and barrier islands are considered rural. This area is without broadband, veterinarians, and experience resource deserts for impoverished communities. Such a great point, logistics can be daunting in lifesaving work." - Lisa Pearce
      • "Super helpful information and I can relate!" - Christina Edwards
      • "Great analogies." - Penny Leisch
      • "What a thoughtful comparison" - Nadia Oseguera
      • "Really brings it home.  How difficult rural is." - Doris Kempton
      • "Great job Good Shepard!!!" - Rachel Rae Williams
      • "This is what I always say!! If someone wants an animal, they WILL get an animal so why not guide them to our animals and ensure we make that connection." - Z Peoples
      • "Great point! Collaboration on growth and development is key" - Lawrence Minnis
      • "It is hard for small organizations, rural or not, and small programs to compete for grants. The small organizations can do a lot to support the larger organizations because they can focus on specific problems too." - Penny Leisch
      • "Using Coalitions that cross rural areas to collaborate provide great results!" - June Thomas
      • "Our biggest challenge is funding for rural medical. We have 5 years of rural outreach experience and have shared our methods with OK and KY. S/N funding is tough to come by." - Lisa Pearce
      • "I would love to connect with people, we are located in a rural area in Northern Michigan. Grayling, MI. Katelyn Gibbons AuSable Valley Animal Shelter Executive Director AVASDirector@gmail.com" - Katelyn Gibbons
      • "Our group specifically focuses on transporting animals out of Central Arkansas, out of state.  But since we created a Coalition of transporting rescues and shelters enabled us to increase our annualized transport volume by 500% in the first 6 months of this year!" - June Thomas
        • "Could you connect on how you did that please? We want to develop strong partnerships in transport. Thx! I can be reached at fundraising@hsspca.org" - Claudia Labbe
        • "Absolutely!  We invited 5 rescues/shelters in other parts of Arkansas that already had transport expertise and/or capacity.  That has allowed us to fill large transports." - June Thomas
      • "Adopt Me Bluegrass Pet Rescue shares info from these calls with two other local rescues who don't have the manpower to attend." - Amy Charles
      • "Thank you so much for this! The Cal for All Animals program is launching a grant cycle soon.  I'm working on the grant app and I’m aiming to make it as barrier-free as possible. What are some of the top barriers you see in grant apps that funders can remove?" - Nadia Oseguera
        • "Not listing all questions in advance such as having hidden fields that pop up if you’ve selected A, B, C etc. Often a grant app is something we prepare for, so going in to submit then clicking and finding 4 hidden questions always throws a wrench into things 🙂 Thanks for asking this question!" - Liz Wheeler, Faunalytics
          • "Thank you, Liz, that is such a valid point and an easy barrier for us funders to remove." - Nadia Oseguera
        • "Or offer the option to print the full application before starting to complete it online.  Easier to prepare the responses." - June Thomas
      • "Rural info very interesting and helpful" - Debbie Loveland
      • "Excellent presentation, Cole!" - Heidi Schmitt
      • "Be sure to check Grant Gopher. They have a free membership that can help." - Penny Leisch
      • "Thank you! Very inspiring." - Michelle Russillo
      • "Excellent presentation." - Candace Brown
      • "Thank you, Cole, for all of your information!  It is very helpful." - Dave Kerpel
      • "Great information" - Stephen Knight - Dog Matter Dallas 
      • "Such great information Cole.  Looking forward to hearing more in Houston!" - Kathy Duncan
      • "Excellent! I found the same things in my formative research for the Open Arms Challenge…I appreciate the solutions part of the presentation!" - Lisa Gilbert
      • "Thanks for the presentation. We are rural, and you are spot on." - Doris Kempton
      • "This was a great presentation - as someone who recently moved to a rural township of 100 it’s been shocking the lack of resources! Such an eye-opening experience and this presentation really hits the nail on the head!" - Liz Wheeler, Faunalytics
      • "Check out the FB site Grant Writers Unite (Animal Welfare) We have good grant opps there, and beginner grant writer info." - Julie Townsend
      • "I have a great grant readiness check list to share if I could send it to orgs." - Lisa Pearce
        • "I'm working on a checklist, too; I would love to see yours if you can share. noseguera@ucdavis.edu" - Nadia Oseguera
      • "Calculating the impact is also a problem because the numbers won't be huge like a metro area. The grants look for larger impact--which you mentioned. This is another area that makes it hard to compete." - Penny Leisch

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 4.  RE: Community Conversations - 7/17/23 - Rural Roads: Lifesaving's Longest Mile

Posted 07-18-2023 02:02 PM
      |   view attached

After my presentation, Penny asked about how counties in Arizona were classified on the map of "non-core"  counties (non-core=rural). Large parts of very rural Arizona showed were classified as metro or micropolitan. They specifically asked if the status of being part of a reservation impacted classification.  After doing some research, here is what I found out:

While status as a reservation did not impact metro/non-core status of a county, Arizona is the perfect example of the limitations of classifying "rural-ality" or service at the county level. Take Coconino County:  Coconino County is MASSIVE. It is 18,661 square miles and contains 7,142 sq miles of reservations. It is larger than 9 states, but since it also contains Flagstaff, it is classified as "Metro" on the Rural Urban Continuum Code map, despite the vast majority of the county being unambiguously rural. 

Attached is the RUCC map of Arizona and a "Am I Rural?" Report for a random point in Coconino County.   Both resources are from ruralhealthinfo,org, 

A map of Arizona divided at the county level and colored coded based on RUCC Metro and non-core designations.

Cole Wakefield
    Good Shepherd Humane Society, Inc.
    Eureka Springs AR

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Am-I-Rural.pdf   139 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Community Conversations - 7/17/23 - Rural Roads: Lifesaving's Longest Mile

Posted 07-24-2023 02:16 PM

I'm so glad to have found a community that's discussing this. I'm trying to help a rescue organization that's based in rural Texas -- they are called SARA (Society ​for Animal
    ​Rescue & Adoption). 

I first learned of them because they're transfer partners with a few rescue orgs in Chicago, where I live. The work that Tracy does at SARA is really incredible--they don't say no to anybody. However, because of their remote location, they struggle with foot traffic (volunteers, donors, adopters, fosters, etc.) -- a digital presence can really only help so much. I appreciate that Cole is bringing some awareness to this topic -- in SARA's case, one huge advantage for their rescue is the amount of land they have, which means that they have room to house a lot of animals. However, because of the remove from people, their fundraising is unfortunately almost always in a reactive vs proactive state. 

Looking forward to learning from others here as I try to help SARA secure grants! Thanks so much.

Carolyn Dorant
    Marketing Manager
    Internet