Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Does anyone have data on the number of dogs and cats euthanized after their owner dies?

Posted 06-24-2022 01:42 PM
    I am doing a needs assessment for my nonprofit foundation and need statistics that are not readily available. I am hoping if you work or volunteer for a shelter you could direct me on how or where to get this information. I need to find out how many dogs and cats are euthanized in shelters (or elsewhere) because their owner has died. Of course, if I could gain the details on the adoptability of the pet based on age and health, that would be phenomenal. I'm taking a "paws" in my work while waiting for a response.  Any helpful hint will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you very much!
    Debra
    #AdmissionsandIntake(includingIntake-to-placement)

------------------------------
    Debra Azzato
    Director of Operations
    Edwin D Marks Animal Foundation

• 2.  RE: Does anyone have data on the number of dogs and cats euthanized after their owner dies?

Posted 06-27-2022 09:18 AM
    It depends on each individual shelter and if/how they record that information. But I've looked at shelter data from all over the country and haven't seen much intake data where they indicate that the pet was turned in because the owner died. When I did see it, was a tiny fraction of the total, and I don't know how many were euthanized (the outcome may have been listed but it wasn't something we were looking at so I didn't record it) Most pets are in the shelter because they were lost or because their owners had housing issues.

There's a lot of open source animal shelter intake data shared online though, so you could start by looking at the shelters in your foundation's area and see what you can find. Or check a big city nearby, because larger metropolitan municipal shelters are more likely to share information online.

M Saucedo
    GIS Analyst
    Pets for Life

• 3.  RE: Does anyone have data on the number of dogs and cats euthanized after their owner dies?

Posted 06-27-2022 09:25 AM
    Thank you very much for your response. I have been looking at shelter data and found exactly what you are saying. That's why I was hoping that posting on Maddie's might bring me more specific information (on or off the record).  It's great to know there are other people willing to help. I really appreciate you taking the time. Good luck with your endeavors! 
    Thanks again!

Debra Azzato
    Director of Operations
    Edwin D Marks Animal Foundation