Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Is it "reasonable" to offer each new adoptive family $100 towards their 1st VET visit?

Posted 01-08-2024 08:23 AM
    My group https://greeneanimalleague.org saved 2 pups from "death row".! Do you think it was "reasonable" to offer each new adoptive family $100 towards their  1st VET visit?
    10-month old saved from
    10 month old pup saved from

#AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms

------------------------------
    Mary Murray
    CEO, Founder & President
    Greene Animal League
    TN

• 2.  RE: Is it "reasonable" to offer each new adoptive family $100 towards their 1st VET visit?

Posted 01-08-2024 10:52 AM

Mary:

We do! We have five participating veterinarians who offer a first free or reduced visit free to our adopters! Our veterinarian partners love the client development this program has initiated. Although their first visit is free or reduced, partners are willing to absorb that cost to establish a lifetime relationship which is both financially beneficial and supports the pet family community and adoption as well. Creating the program and selling it to our partners was a no brainer! We simply ask adopters during the adoption process where they would like to establish their relationship with their veterinarian and supply the approved form to the adopter.  We referred 1,856 adopters to local veterinarians! Veterinarians are welcoming new adopters and promoting adoption, we know we have a great chance of adopters continuing this relationship, and it certainly creates business for our local veterinarians...which I might add makes a great sponsorship "ask" to them in the future! Pets, People, Partners!

Jenny Webber

The Humane Society of Hobart

Jennifer Webber
    The Humane Society of Hobart, Inc.

• 3.  RE: Is it "reasonable" to offer each new adoptive family $100 towards their 1st VET visit?

Posted 01-10-2024 03:47 PM
    Thank you for your response! My issue is that $100 is coming out of my pocket with NO breaks from the VET whatsoever! I could become poor real quick for saving pups off of  "death row"!! Any suggestions is welcomed...as I have NO cooperating VET's in this rural area! Thanks, Mary Murray, LadywiththeHuskies, PROOF4PETS & https://greeneanimalleague.org

• 4.  RE: Is it "reasonable" to offer each new adoptive family $100 towards their 1st VET visit?

Posted 01-22-2024 12:11 PM

If you want to do that and have the funds, that's great. You could attract more adopters. Most organizations do not offer money for the vet like this though.

Maria Saucedo
    GIS Analyst
    Pets for Life at HSUS
    Baltimore, MD