Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Maddie's Insights Webcast November 9, 2023 Strategies for Challenging Ableism in Companion Animal Welfare

Posted 10-16-2023 03:36 PM

Maddie's Insights are a series of webinars about the latest research in animal well-being and how you can use the findings in your shelter and community.

Strategies for Challenging Ableism in Companion Animal Welfare with Katja M. Guenther,
    Professor of Gender & Sexuality Studies, University of California, Riverside, and author of The Lives and Deaths of Shelter Animals.

Many animal shelters and rescues unwittingly perpetuate ableism through their engagements with disabled animals, even when they are trying to help these animals. In this webinar, we will explore how animal shelters and rescues contribute to problematic representations of disability and engage in practices that harm these animals. We will explore strategies for challenging ableism and better serving disabled animals. 

WATCH THE RECORDING HERE

Learning Objectives:

By the conclusion of this session, participants should be able to

1.     Define ableism and the dis/ability system

2.     Recognize ableist representations of animals and people

3.     Identify and rework personal or organizational practices that support ableism to support better outcomes for disabled animals

This webinar will be recorded. It has been pre-approved for 1.0 Certified Animal Welfare Administrator continuing education credits by The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement and by the National Animal Care & Control Association and  for 1 hour of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE) approval.

About the presenter

portrait of Katja Guenther

Katja M. Guenther's research focuses on gender, social movements, human-animal relationships, and the state. Her work centers on improving our understanding of how and why inequalities of gender, race, class, dis/ability, and species reproduce so reliably, and what we can do to challenge these inequalities. She is best known in the animal well-being community as the author of The Lives and Deaths of Shelter Animals. Her scholarly work has been published in journals such as Disability Studies Quarterly, Ethnic & Racial Studies, Gender & SocietyMobilizationPolitics & GenderSignsSocial ProblemsSociological Forum, and Women's Studies International Forum, among others.  Prof. Guenther teaches courses in introductory gender & sexuality studies and gender & disability studies, as well as upper-division courses in feminist and grassroots organizing, gender and the state, and feminist animal studies.

#Diversity,Equity,InclusionandJustice
    #EducationandTraining

------------------------------
    Alison Gibson
    Media Projects Manager
    Maddie's Fund

• 2.  RE: Maddie's Insights Webcast November 9, 2023 Strategies for Challenging Ableism in Companion Animal Welfare

Posted 11-09-2023 01:26 PM

This was a truly wonderful webcast that will give me a lot to think about. Thank you very much!

Ashley Reynolds
    Volunteer
    Ottawa Humane Society
    ON

• 3.  RE: Maddie's Insights Webcast November 9, 2023 Strategies for Challenging Ableism in Companion Animal Welfare

Posted 11-09-2023 02:18 PM

Thank you so much for attending, Ashley!  

Alison Gibson
    Media Projects Manager
    Maddie's Fund

• 4.  RE: Maddie's Insights Webcast November 9, 2023 Strategies for Challenging Ableism in Companion Animal Welfare

Posted 11-10-2023 12:09 AM

This is the second time I have had the pleasure to listen to Katja. I bought her book for the first time.  Her research is thought-provoking. The highlight for me the second time is dogs with behavior issues can be viewed as disabled. I love to explore this notion further. As a trainer who works mostly with big fearful dogs, how can I use this to help guardians better understand their pet dogs? I love to hear everyone's thoughts. 

Julielani Chang
    The Life of Kai: Compassion Connections Inc.
    Davis CA

• 5.  RE: Maddie's Insights Webcast November 9, 2023 Strategies for Challenging Ableism in Companion Animal Welfare

Posted 11-11-2023 09:44 AM

Hi Julielani! 

Thanks for attending the seminar. I'm glad thinking about animals with behavioral issues as disabled resonated with you. I think using the lens of disability in thinking about animals with behavior issues helps accomplish two things. First, it opens up pathways for compassion. So much of public conversation about animals who "do bad things" centers on companion animals as willful or deliberate saboteurs of human happiness (I fell into this trap yesterday when my 2-year-old pit bull chewed up my favorite flip flop; I asked her, "Why are you trying to ruin my day?!?").  Second, it helps us shift to thinking about accommodation and support, rather than focusing on imposing human will on animals. Please note that I am not suggesting every canine behavior humans find distressing is a disability/mental illness--in fact, a lot of what dogs do that annoys humans is normal canine behavior (like the desire to chew my pittie has!). But when dogs have separation anxiety, that's an anxiety disorder, or severe reactivity on leash to other dogs, or to people--those are mental health issues. If we think about these conditions as disabilities, it allows us to move away from trying to change or fix the animal and to instead think about what we can do to better accommodate their needs and to support them in coping and managing with the condition. In the cases of the big fearful dogs you mention, Julielani, talking with guardians about how their dogs are dealing with a mental health issue may help the guardians have more patience, understand that change may be a very slow and gradual process and likely will never be "complete," and that their role is to help set the dog up for success by accommodating their needs as much as possible and incrementally working toward calmness. Depending on what you know about the dog's history and behavior, using some of the common language of human mental health (like referring to conditions, like PTSD or generalized anxiety disorder) may help guardians in understanding their dog's behavior differently. 

Katja Guenther
    Professor
    UC Riverside

• 6.  RE: Maddie's Insights Webcast November 9, 2023 Strategies for Challenging Ableism in Companion Animal Welfare

Posted 11-11-2023 04:17 PM

Hi Katja,

We are of the same mind. I worked mostly with anxious dogs and two of my dogs have generalized anxiety. I appreciate your thoughts. My dogs are the reason I have a nonprofit aimed at helping people better understand animals and pet dogs as well as exercise their empathy and compassion. I have your book and really enjoy your insights. I am a separation anxiety pro trainer and I absolutely agree with you that it is a disability that affects both humans and dogs.  As always I enjoyed your webinars. 

Julielani Chang
    The Life of Kai: Compassion Connections Inc.
    Davis CA

• 7.  RE: Maddie's Insights Webcast November 9, 2023 Strategies for Challenging Ableism in Companion Animal Welfare

Posted 11-11-2023 10:04 PM

Hi Professor,

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.  I love the term guardian.  It implies a responsibility for the human to the animal.   We work with abused animals, and we have accommodations for several; some require a dark space to decompress, and some use lavender scents to calm them - we have one who must have her football with her at all times.  Just like children,  they have their own personalities, which are often shaped by their environment and treatment. 

Thank you!

Connie Ash
    Director
    Mended Paws Sanctuary
    AR