Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Microchips - Fi Nano

Posted 05-21-2022 07:28 PM

I was just wondering what people's opinions are on the Fi Nano Microchip.

I requested the sample 20 chips and have just recently had some kittens fixed and gave the chips to be done at the time of surgery. I have just now gone into the Fi Nano site to register them and I am beyond disappointed at the absolute bare minimum - if even that of information that is able to be input into their microchip registry.

The chips arrive registered to the rescue/shelter/breeder and that stays on record which is of course good, but standard with all chips I believe
    Shockingly you cannot input the pets information until the pet has been adopted and you have transferred to new owners - so what happens if pet gets lost from rescue/shelter/breeder?
    There is only an option for "Dog" if not a dog you tick the box "not a dog" 
    There is no option to upload a picture
    There is no option to input any of the animals' details except name, date of birth and weight
    There is no option to download a "lost pet" flyer - although it would be pointless due to the lack of information.

I re-registered them all so that I can input their information, which is how I discovered this - I am truly shocked and disappointed.

I have ordered 500 chips from them for free and low cost microchip events, but I have emailed asking to cancel the order and be refunded I am not comfortable with this bare bones registry.

The chips are $3 and come with 3 labels and no tag, which I understand, they are cheap - but I was expecting the standard registry information.

Has anyone else experienced this, or have any opinions?

Jen

#Behavior,TrainingandEnrichment
    #FundraisingandDevelopment
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #PetSupportServices*

------------------------------
    Jenny Cope - Fear Free Certified
    President/Founder
    Give a Dog a Home Rescue
    Greater Goods Charities - GOODS Program Ambassador
    501c3 Non- Profit Corp, Tax ID/EIN 27-5241306
    State of Maine Shelter/Rescue Licence # F1463
    State of Maine Registered Charity: CO11334
    https://giveadogahome.rescuegroups.org/

• 2.  RE: Microchips - Fi Nano

Posted 05-22-2022 04:56 AM
    We use foundanimals.org microchips. I believe their website will register any brand of microchip.

teri garske

• 3.  RE: Microchips - Fi Nano

Posted 05-22-2022 05:01 AM
    I was actually going to buy some of those, but before I got chance I was getting bombarded with marketing emails from Fi Nano, $3 chips and free registry.

I should have checked the registry first, but think when I get the refund, I will get those chips - do the Found.org come with chip collar tags?

Jen

Jenny Cope - Fear Free Certified
    President/Founder
    Give a Dog a Home Rescue
    Greater Goods Charities - GOODS Program Ambassador
    501c3 Non- Profit Corp, Tax ID/EIN 27-5241306
    State of Maine Shelter/Rescue Licence # F1463
    State of Maine Registered Charity: CO11334
    https://giveadogahome.rescuegroups.org/

• 4.  RE: Microchips - Fi Nano

Posted 05-22-2022 05:08 AM
    I don't think they come with a collar tag. There's a sheet of barcodes that can be stickered to a tag maybe?
    https://petkey.org/public/purchase/chipproducts.aspx?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvqeUBhCBARIsAOdt45b4vyQD-c8JnL9hIKXuvI0dwViRiw49yyLmpGnuLWfRg394YeTMNAkaAqOoEALw_wcB

teri garske

• 5.  RE: Microchips - Fi Nano

Posted 05-23-2022 06:17 AM
    We too got the 20 free microchips and the product is fine, but since we are TNR exclusively, we have all cats!   I was assured that the registration would still track back to our organization in the case of a found cat.  We do keep our own microchip database so that is not a problem, but for those cats that are adopted, I've had to create a work around... inputting the name like this:   "Spotty Polen - cat"  - not ideal.  they have a great collar product for dogs, but it seems that they mostly do products for dogs.   Too bad, because they have the most affordable microchip on the market.

Samantha Polen
    T-Town TNR, Inc.