Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

• 1.  November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-01-2023 09:31 AM

Last year, our Holiday Promotions Resource Drive was so successful we decided to run it again this year! There were such great ideas shared last year like @amber dennison's 12 Strays of Christmas, @Davyd Smith shared No Kill Colorado’s “Home for the Holidays” campaign, @Kelsey Quinn and Lending Paws a Hand’s, “Small Business Saturday” promotion, @geri golonka and TinynTall Rescue’s “Virtual Bingo” fundraiser, @Sarah Schulte shared their “Foster First” adoption promotion and so many others that you’ll just have to read them for yourself to see where inspiration strikes for your next fundraising campaign or holiday promotion.

How to Participate: 

1.  Reply on this thread with details about your most popular holiday promotions. Share links to social media posts, webpage links and other creative materials you used for the promotion.

2.  Reply with what you plan to launch this year! What holidays are your organization planning to focus on, what goals you are trying to achieve (ex: we need to raise awareness about our pet food pantry), and how you plan to engage your audience.

3.  Share a favorite holiday promotion you liked that another organization did. Be sure to give them credit by including that organization’s name 

Where will the Holiday Promotion resources be stored? How do I view them? 

All holiday promotion resources shared on this thread will be accessible in the “Holiday Promotions” folder in the Maddie’s Pet Forum Library: https://maddies.fund/holidaypromotionslibrary

Share & You’ll Be Entered To Win $50

Everyone who uploads a file, shares a resource on this thread or replies with information about a holiday promotion in November and December will be entered to win a $50 gift card to Amazon, Petco or PetSmart (winner's choice).  Start sharing now!

Pro-Tips for sharing resources: 

• Use the "Upload File" button when replying to this thread to attach a file. We encourage you to attach the file versus hyperlinking to the file whenever possible. Files that are attached get automatically added to the Maddie's Pet Forum Resource Library so attaching helps make the resource searchable and improves accessibility within the forum.

• Yes, you can share resources that your organization did not create. Sharing is caring and this applies to resources too! Make sure the creator allows the resource to be shared publicly and be sure to give credit to the creator or source organization.

#CommunityPartnerships*
    #FundraisingandDevelopment
    #MarketingandSocialMedia

------------------------------
    Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 2.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-01-2023 10:55 AM

No Kill Colorado has an annual event-  Home for the Holidays -  with our partners to help homeless pets and get into a loving family.

We start with $5000 from our general fund for this campaign, but any donations in the months of November and December can increase that amount! This year we are engaging the PACFA organizations that are members of SARA (Shelter and Rescue Alliance of Colorado).

Last year we increased our pet home from 101 in 2022 to over 170 in 2022!  We are shooting for over 200 this year!

For participating shelters and rescues, we pay $50 for each pet that goes to a home (Adopted or fostered) From Thanksgiving Until Christmas. 

The criteria for these pets are:

·         Pet must be in the state of Colorado (NKC does not work with pets outside our borders)

·         Partner is a member of SARA (Shelter and Rescue Alliance of Colorado)

·         Any pet that is 3 years or older, or any special needs qualify for a $50 donation to the participating org!

We also have a one day in person adoption event for any of our partners that want to attend.  At the event, we have pictures with Santa.  This year we are also having a "Guess the Breed" contest.  The adoptable/fosters are walked around the party (at a microbrew).  People can buy a chance to "guess the breed".  This has 2 purposes.  First of course, fundraising for our partners.  2nd educating people about breed labeling (we are not fans of it).

We produce a bunch of social media material for ourselves and our partners.  We will likely add more throughout the holidays.  Feel free to download and use any of them as is or edit them for your use (You would need to cover our logo with yours where applicable  – happy to have you just post ours!). The Other Images and SARA folder are all AI generated and NKC gives full permission to use as well. You can find that here:  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1g3hVmjkZxxT4hY-br8brSxMC08waOC6v?usp=sharing

Davyd Smith
    No Kill Colorado

• 3.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-01-2023 01:04 PM

I love the idea of "Guess the Breed," and I am definitely going to talk to our team about it.

Also, props to you for such a cool, collaborative holiday event!  That is excellent.

Laura McKelvey
    Shelter Manager
    PAWS Atlanta
    GA

• 4.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-22-2023 11:32 AM

I absolutely love the Guess the breed contest! It is great to educate people about different breeds. 

Meghan Lupo
    Marketing Manager
    Humane Society of Midland County
    MI

• 5.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-09-2023 04:57 AM

We are partnering with a jewelry store to host a fundraiser at the mall in preparation for the gift giving season! 

We are going to encourage our followers and the community to shop for gifts during our fundraiser to benefit animals while also fulfilling their list of gifts to buy for friends or family. 

Amanda Gray
    Grants and fundraising manager
    Operation Liberation
    FL

• 6.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-16-2023 09:13 AM

I'm a jewelry broker in Colorado & a furry foster momma too. 80% of my clients are out of state & I sell at 30-50% below retail prices & can do anything the stores can. I'd love to do something like this for rescues nationwide if anyone wants to help implement it!!! Last month I posted a link to the rescue on Facebook & said free pair of $40 pearl earrings to anyone who donates to the rescue & had lots of donations!!! KELLY GRADY 303-726-0572 tender loving carats international diamond & jewelry broker tenderlovingcarats.com mon & wed by appointment kelly.grady@gmail.com 

Kelly Grady
    Volunteer foster
    Mile High Canine Rescue Inc
    CO

• 7.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-16-2023 05:27 AM

Our organization, Shelter Pet Safety Net (www.shelterpetsafetynet.org), supports the county animal shelter here in Bastrop, TX.  We've teamed up with a generous local business, Berdoll's Pecan and Gift shop, to offer holiday gifts (pecan-related, naturally) in the fourth quarter.  We get a donation of 30% of the price of anything purchased with our special code, on-line or in their store.  We weren't expecting to raise much money this way, but last year received over $4000! They invited us to do it again this year.  We promote this at local events and on social media.

Jenni Ritchie
    Shelter Pet Safety Net

• 8.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-16-2023 09:52 AM

A lot of great ideas here! Thanks for sharing everyone & here's to a great Holiday Season for everyone!

Mary Millenbach
    Director of Development & Fundraising
    Paws & Whiskers Cat Shelter
    OH

• 9.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-16-2023 08:55 PM

Last November/December on my personal time I created a group called "Become a Furry Godparent" but with the holiday season and to correlate to animal control, maybe the title can be more "Secret Santa" or "Sponsor a Shelter Pet" related. Each week I had shared a community pet or pets in need, ones who's owners might have been struggling, and created Amazon wishlists of pet supplies to support that pet/family. Maybe this year, make it strictly municipal shelter animals and highlight local adoptable pets in other communities, as well as mine. With Amazon wishlists, you can cater items to specific animals and get them shipped directly to whichever shelter you'd like! We unfortunately can't fundraise for monetary donations, but I sure can make a stellar Amazon wishlist! 

We also promoted Reverse Advent Calendars. Easy and fun!

Brooke Gero
    Animal Control Officer
    CT Animal Control

• 10.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-20-2023 11:22 AM

Such great ideas! I am making a list!!

Angela Rowe
    Volunteer
    Second Chance Dog Rescue
    CA

• 11.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-17-2023 06:37 AM

Hey Everyone! 

I work at the municipal shelter; Grand Prairie Animal Services in TX (DFW area).

I LOVE the holidays so starting end of Sept we prep for our annual Howl-o-Ween party that involves an indoor trick or treat trail through our shelter for the kids and an outdoor bark or treat trail for our furry friends. 

- November we're usually taking a breather from Oct and prepping for Dec but this year we put on our first 5k-9 (dog friendly 5k) Fun Run and it was decently successful for the first time ever doing one! 

But December is our baby! 

- This year will be our 4th annual "Fill Their Stockings" Campaign. This is our 3rd year partnering with the local girl scouts troop; and they are donating 200 hand decorated stockings from the troop. They are actually dropping them off tomorrow. So the Saturday after Thanksgiving, we will hang a stocking on EVERY animals kennel in the shelter.  We implore the public to come in and fill their stockings. They can choose to focus on one specific animal or they can share with many. It's completely up to them! We also have an Amazon wishlist specifically for the event and when items arrive we'll put them in the stockings. Mid way through december as animals are adopted their stockings will go home with them. If they are still there for Christmas Day instead of giving them their stocking just yet; we go through all the donations/presents that have been left under the tree in our lobby and dole those out on a live video. We give the animals until new years eve with their stockings and those who are still there on NYD get their stockings then. 

- We run a Santa Paws Sleepover Dec 23rd - Jan 2nd. Very few animals come back from this program after the short term foster as they are adopted by the family fostering, adopted to someone the foster family knows and/or they decide to continue to foster until the dog is adopted. 

- We're doing Photos with a life like Santa & Mrs. Claus no Dec 3rd and may be doing a Grinch photo option this year as well. 

- Our 3rd annual Chipmas event will be Dec 9th - We offer free microchipping and registration to the public (not just our city but anyone who wants to come and get their pets chipped). We usually do over 100 animals that day.

- This will be our 2nd year doing Prairie Paws Postage - we sell holiday cards; you can pick xmas, Hannukah, kwanza, etc and we fill out the card exactly as you'd inscribed in your submission purchase and then we add actual cat or dog paw prints inside the card, a cute photo of the actual animal dressed up in holiday gear/theme. We also do this for Valentines Day and it does better with that option but it's basically no cost for us after the initial investment of cards last year so we'll continue to offer it until we run out of cards and/or if it does better we'll restock if we run out. 

- We no longer do this event because it was pretty much all me and one of my interns but before I had my son we'd do the Pawlar Express; we'd allow adoptions the week before Christmas and hold the animal until xmas eve/xmas day and then we'd dress up as elves and hand deliver them (on a live which people LOVED). It was parents adopting for their kids and it was truly the cutest/sweetest thing! But then covid happened and I had my son and I want my holidays with my family but I'm considering doing Xmas eve deliveries again since we do not do anything on Xmas eve currently! It was super cute and the parents would fill out forms I had made, so we'd know the kids names/ages and if they believe in Santa or not and then spin a whole thing around each family. The kids believed we were elves when we'd come in and know each of their names and we let them know Santa had an extra special present for them but he couldn't take them no the sleigh with him all night so he asked us to make a special delivery. We even delivered a guinea pig one time. All in all it gives the feels and it can easily be catered to how ever you'd want to set it up. 

That's pretty much all of the current stuff I put on at my shelter but always looking for new ideas and new programs/campaigns to add/try!

If you want any additional info on any of the events we put on just let me know and I'd be happy to share or answer any questions you may have.

Sincerely,

Angellee Vincent

• 12.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-20-2023 09:59 PM

Hi Angellee,

Where did you purchase cards? This sounds like an event we could do for Valentine's Day. 

Thanks 

Connie Ash
    Director
    Mended Paws Sanctuary
    AR

• 13.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-22-2023 06:16 AM

Hey Connie! 

The first year we started I bought them at the Dollar Tree (packs of 12-14 holiday cards for $1!)  Last year we ordered them on Amazon for both the holidays and Valentine's day in bulk.

Thanks,

Angellee

Angellee Vincent
    Volunteer & Events Coordinator
    Grand Prairie Animal Services
    Grand Prairie, TX
    www.gptx.org/paws

• 14.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-20-2023 10:07 PM

Hi Brooke, 

I absolutely love the list you have for the 24 days of Christmas.  Our county has four small city shelters that can always use help.  We could use this list to help these shelters with small donations.... going to do it!

Connie Ash
    Director
    Mended Paws Sanctuary
    AR

• 15.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-01-2023 12:31 PM

Hi @Angellee Vincent! You've been randomly selected as the resource drive winner for November! Thanks so much for sharing so many incredible ideas for holiday promotions on this thread. Please be on the look out for a direct message from me so we can send you a $50 gift card for participating in this resource drive. 

We're continuing the holiday promotions fun for the month of December so please continue to share your favorite promotions on this thread for a chance to win in December!

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 16.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-02-2023 07:16 AM

Thank you so much! :) 

Angellee Vincent
    Grand Prairie, TX
    www.gptx.org/paws

• 17.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-17-2023 08:35 AM

LOVE the Santa Paws Sleepover! (And others but this one is brilliant.) 

Maria G
    Communications Manager
    FAAS
    CA

• 18.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-20-2023 08:20 AM

The Humane Society of Midland County partners with a local business for a gift wrapping fundraiser during the holiday season. This event was created to help spread awareness, as well as, to support the animals in need. Our organization receives no funding from the government so it is important that we host events like this for general expenses, supplies and more.

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/events/343321244909479

I just read the No Kill Colorado Home for the Holidays event and think that it is a spectacular event. I loved reading about the success they've had and how they are helping animals with special needs.

Meghan Lupo
    Marketing Manager
    Humane Society of Midland County
    MI

• 19.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-21-2023 08:01 AM
      |   view attached

There are so many fun and creative ideas that organizations come up with especially the shelters.  While our organization is not a shelter, we operate a low cost spay/neuter and wellness clinic as well as various other community outreach programs.  This year we are doing  Howliday Gift event.  

Basically for $30 a supporter can request cat and/or dog treats and volunteers will deliver them to homes.  You decide if you want Hanukkah themed treats to be delivered on 12/7/23 or Christmas themed treats delivered 12/21. Even an option for a personalized gift.  Our staff and volunteers will deliver right to your front door. You can order as many Dog or Cat Howliday Gifts as you like. Have fun with your pets all while you support Beesley Animal Foundation! Some of the treats are just for you! Enjoy! Happy Howlidays from Beesley. 🐾❤ DEADLINES: November 30th for Hannukah Delivery on 12/7. December 14th for Christmas Delivery on 12/21. 

Dawn Roberts
    Executive Director
    Beesley Animal Foundation
    TN

• 20.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-22-2023 06:19 AM

This is a great idea! We actually do something very similiar for Easter, can't believe I never thought about it for Christmas! Do you guys just buy the treats and make the bags or do you work with a company who makes the treats for you or a volunteer?

Thanks!

Angellee

Angellee Vincent
    Grand Prairie, TX
    www.gptx.org/paws

• 21.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 11-22-2023 06:37 PM

This is a great plan.  Maybe for Valentine's Day - one of our sanctuary dogs could help us deliver. 

Connie Ash
    Director
    Mended Paws Sanctuary
    AR

• 22.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-16-2023 07:38 AM

You guys are all so creative. There are some wonderful ideas I am saving for next year like the holiday cards and reverse advent calendar. We are a little different as we are a farm and exotic animal sanctuary/rescue. Last year we created our Santa "wishlist" posts for our social media with specific animals asking for an item from our wishlist for the 12 days of Christmas. This year we called it Secret Santa and changed up the posts to include new intakes & adoptable animals asking for forever homes.  This gave our supporters a chance to donate but on a smaller scale. I've attached a few examples

Lisa Burn
    Co-founder/VP
    Farmhouse Animal & Nature Sanctuary
    Myakka City, FL
    https://farmhousesanctuary.org

• 23.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 01-04-2024 02:31 PM

Congratulations, @Lisa Burns!

Congratulations text on background of colorful paint splotches

You've been randomly selected as the resource drive winner for December! Thank you for sharing your holiday wish list ideas and including your social media post images, too.  I'm sending you a direct message to get you set up with your $50 gift card from PetSmart, Petco or Amazon so you can buy a little extra holiday gift for yourself or your animals. Happy shopping and thank you again for sharing your resources with our forum members!

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

• 24.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 01-04-2024 02:34 PM

Yay, thank you so much! 

Lisa Burn
    Co-founder/VP
    Farmhouse Animal & Nature Sanctuary
    Myakka City, FL
    https://farmhousesanctuary.org

• 25.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 01-04-2024 03:20 PM

You're welcome, Lisa. Thank YOU!

Kim Domerofski (she/her)
    Community Manager
    Maddie's Fund

• 26.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-17-2023 12:05 PM

I got this idea from one of the former holiday promotion threads (I can't remember which shelter posted it or which year it was, sorry!). I created pawliday giving trees and distributed them to dog-friendly businesses (dog day care, vet clinics, pet supply store, dog friendly breweries, businesses who opted in). I created individual tags featuring current adoptable pets with their wish list and a QR code linking to the shelters wish list section on their website.  People who wanted to participate could take a tag from the tree, purchase something from their wishlist, and return the donation with the tag attached. So far it seems to have been a success! I won't know fully until I pick up the trees and donations later this week. I figured it was a win-win for most businesses as they didn't have to contribute anything and the places that sold pet supplies would likely have increased sales and the breweries would then have the people returning their donations to the box at their locations and possibly staying for another beverage.  I created the tags and flyers in canva. Here is a template link for the tags: 

https://www.canva.com/design/DAF0lrYHZ-Q/EReiV-zeMJFrCQA7ertTdg/view?utm_content=DAF0lrYHZ-Q&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=publishsharelink&mode=preview 

It did take quite a bit of time but I was able to do it by myself as a volunteer after getting the ok from staff.

Maggie Peschek
    Volunteer
    WA

• 27.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-17-2023 09:07 PM

I am saving this one for next year!  I love using the QR code! It is easy for anyone to participate. 
    Thank you for sharing -
    Connie 

Connie Ash
    Director
    Mended Paws Sanctuary
    AR

• 28.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-18-2023 11:11 AM
      |   view attached

We had our most successful Black Friday Adoption Event ever this past year.  55 Adoptions and almost all  were large dogs, spicy cats, and long stays.  

Emily Klehm
    CEO
    South Suburban Humane Society
    Chicago Heights IL

• 29.  RE: November & December 2023 Resource Drive: Holiday Promotions

Posted 12-18-2023 11:12 AM

I just realized I posted the Spanish version of the flyer lol.  But you get the idea!

Emily Klehm
    CEO
    South Suburban Humane Society
    Chicago Heights IL