Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Assistance Animal Policy 

10-01-2019 09:20 PM

This document describes citizens' rights and the laws surrounding assistance animals
#assistanceanimals

Statistics
0 Favorited
1 Files
0 Shares
5 Downloads
Attachment(s)
pdf file
assistance-animal-policy.pdf   386 KB   1 version
Uploaded - 09-11-2020

Comments

01-31-2023 03:31 PM

I have an issue with the animal handling policy.

" No animal should be caused unnecessary discomfort or undue stress as a consequence of act or omission by a member of the ____ ."
Great intent but highly unworkable in many Shelter situations.  And not just medical exams or transferring from one kennel or area to another.
I lead a group of volunteers who's specific task is the continued socialization, or behavior modification for those not social, of cats between intake and clearance for adoption.  Quite a number - for the past 6 months almost all - are strays.  So we've no  idea of their previous guardian/living status.
If this policy were in use we'd be unable to work with many of these cats, who clearly suffer some degree of FAS.
No one wants to put them under more stress.  But leaving them alone means they'll be very difficult to place in new homes.  And expecting their level of FAS to reduce to the point they'll accept behavior modification/socialization work once they get "adjusted" on their own is unrealistic.   Especially as we already have limited time before a cat is moved to Adoptions, not unusual for animal shelters.
The policy is great - but too pie-in-the-sky, unless I'm missing something.
Thank you.
Alan Gurevich
Certified Applied Animal Behaviorist