Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Feline Diarrhea Protocol - LA Foster Program - ASPCA Pro 

12-27-2022 09:33 AM

Feline Diarrhea Protocol - LA Foster Program - ASPCA Pro - December 2019

This Kitten diarrhea protocol has a place in my heart. I'm publishing it here for Community Cat Caretakers as well as
for persons taking care of cats with unknown owners who have Manx syndrome, disabilities or unwell kittens.

.PDF Link  ONE TEST TO RULE THEM ALL!
https://www.aspcapro.org/sites/default/files/2020-07/diarrhea-protocol-for-la-foster-aspca-pro.pdf

Don't give up. The directions in this Foster Protocol led me to have a feral Manx Kitten Diagnosed.
She would not allow handling and two doctors (one was an angel fund) refused to examine her.
It was easy to obtain a fecal sample once she was in a kennel, my Vet's office with my encouragement
ordered this test:  IDEXX Feline Diarrhea RealPCR Panel (comprehensive)

Page 3 of 4, bottom, tell you HOW to order it from IDEXX slightly cheaper by requesting another test. 
Depending who at your Vet's office puts in the order you may need to put that in writing for the office.

The results in the case of my misdiagnosed Kitten was HOOKWORMS with a high Clostridium count. After
diagnosed the Vet was willing to prescribe medication without an exam.  The test cost me about $125. That is
less than my Vet would have charged to sedate and examine her.  This was all during the time COVID was
starting to become worse in Florida. It saved her life for a couple of years, but drained me as the deworming
was hard, I changed her litter box and paper flooring constantly, with an incontinent MANX.

A NOTE: Lola had gotten loose during her first visit to my Vet's office. She left a trail of pooh. A
pregnant vet tech, super nice, put her back in her cage. He was not excited about having her back. The
fecal exam solved more than one problem. She recovered nicely for a long time.

MY LAST FERAL, used his sister's diagnosis to be dewormed and survived.
Lola has a brother. He is what I now call, My Last Feral. After losing his other sister, she was TNVR'd and ran with
him in the woods during the day, he went into a deep depression. My neighbor told me she thought he was crying
under her house at night. After months of repeated attempts to trap him, I brought him inside looking sickly.

I was dead broke and had to rely on Lola's tests to deworm him for Hookworms. It worked. He is better but still
unhappy.  He needs to be relocated and vetted. He cannot be handled, if he gets scared by my cats he will
cry like a baby for me to isolate him. We have people shooting guns, cat haters and coyotes in the neighborhood.
This time he's alone, I can't let him out. That's certain death. Anyone with a Barn Program is invited to contact
me through this forum. Thanks. 

The ASPCA website says "Download this kitten diarrhea protocol, created and used by the ASPCA Los Angeles Kitten Foster Program, and customize it for your foster program with oversight from your program veterinarian...":

https://www.aspcapro.org/resource/diarrhea-protocol-kitten-foster-programs

#CommunityCatManagement

Statistics
0 Favorited
0 Files
0 Shares
0 Downloads

Related Entries and Links

No Related Resource entered.