Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Running a Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic

Posted 03-23-2020 02:58 PM

Hi Everyone!

Our shelter currently offers two low-cost spay/neuter options: quarterly clinic days and a voucher program. The clinic days happen at one of our vet partner's locations and it is one vet that does all of the surgeries. The vouchers can be redeemed at one of three participating vets.

We are looking to expand our clinic days to be a little different than the current offering. We'd like to be able to offer more frequent clinic days, involving a number of veterinarians, and it could happen at a participating vet or if we chose to purchase our own equipment. I'm wondering if any shelters out there run a clinic day similar to this? Where they run the clinic, including location, equipment, volunteers, etc. and the vets just donate their time and services. Any help anyone could offer on starting a low-cost clinic would be great!

Thanks!

#spay/neuterclinic
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #lowcostspay/neuter

• 2.  RE: Running a Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic

Posted 03-24-2020 10:34 AM

I manage a mobile spay and neuter clinic that our shelter began about a year ago (November 2018). I'm happy to help with advice as far as that goes. Our clinic does operate full time and serves other shelters and the public in counties around us. If it helps, I can share information about how we started our clinic. My email address is holly@bwar.org. 

• 3.  RE: Running a Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinic

Posted 03-25-2020 03:56 AM

Try to make it self supporting! Use wellness as an income stream... you can offer steeply discounted prices on s/n if you make $ on other services.  Vaccines, heartworm testing things like that!             
    We run a wellness clinic in addition to the S/n clinic to make $ to support the S/n. You can’t count on donations or volunteers for long:(

Not to be a buzz kill!!! It can be done! We s/n 20,000 a year for 10 years now.

not too much funding out there now except for free s/n so you need to make it self supporting!! It’s easy if you think outside of the box!!

good luck! You can do it!