Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 07-27-2018 11:40 AM

Get to know Founding Member, Sherri Franklin in this week’s feature interview!

Sherri Franklin
    Founder & CEO of Muttville Senior Dog Rescue 
    CNN Hero 2016
    San Francisco, CA

Tell us about you and your history in animal welfare.

I started work in Animal Welfare by volunteering at a local animal shelter, I was also the Vice Chair of the Animal Control and Welfare Commission for SF, where I helped write and push through legislation for animals in San Francisco. My team helped get the aging elephants out of the SF Zoo and to PAWS Sanctuary. I co-wrote the legislation setting minimum standards for outdoor dogs which is used daily to remove dogs from horrible outdoor spaces and to educate people about caring for their animals.

While walking dogs at local shelters I saw old dogs routinely passed over for younger dogs and many would be killed. I vowed to change that after meeting Heidi, she is my “gateway” dog, when I got to the shelter to find this happy, waggie beagle basset X had been euthanized because she was old, my life changed. I started Muttville Senior Dog Rescue shortly after that. It started in my home with volunteers coming in and out and MANY dogs sleeping with me, hahahaha.

We moved to our own cage free shelter 5 years later in 2012, thanks to the SFSPCA and Maddies who helped us through those formative years. Our shelter now rescues over 1100 senior dogs every year and places them in loving forever homes.

We’re up to 5900 dogs rescued in 11 years! Check out our very first video!

What are you most proud of in your career?

I am proud of bringing the plight of senior dogs to the forefront of animal welfare and to the public everywhere, making senior dogs sexy! When I started Muttville I didn’t realize how much this mission would strike a chord with so many people on many different levels. It did! I believe this is through our positive messaging and bringing our great stories to everyone.

Name something related to shelters and animal welfare that you are super passionate about and want others to learn about?

Hospice! Muttville has implemented many new innovative programs related to saving lives. We are committed to every dog that comes through our door, some have terminal and untreatable illnesses, that’s why our hospice program is near and dear to my heart. Hospice is the program I want to share with all other shelters and rescues. It isn’t hard to implement and it is so rewarding and important!

Tell us something about yourself people might be surprised to learn

I am a long time vegan and believe that if you love dogs, cats etc, you need to look at ALL animals and the way they are treated. Factory farming, trophy hunting, horse and dog racing, captive wild animals living in small cages or aquariums, dolphin rides and the poor elephants and bears used for our entertainment in circuses, rodeos, fur, bull fights. they are not here to serve our needs.

Who is your “animal welfare crush”?

I have quite a few, so this is difficult! But I just saw Jane Goodall speak again, she is such an advocate for kindness and compassion and changing the world through sharing those values. Age hasn’t slowed her down and I am not going to let it slow me either!

www.muttville.org

Thanks for the interview, Sherri! If you have any questions or comments for Sherri, reply below!

Be sure to follow Muttville Senior Dog Rescue on social media. Their team does a great job at posting fun and engaging content worth getting inspiration from!

@muttvillesf on Instagram
    Muttville Senior Dog Rescue on Facebook
    @muttville on Twitter
    Muttville on YouTube

#sanfrancisco
    #foundingmemberinterview
    #PeopleManagement
    #muttville
    #featuredfoundingmember
    #foundingmember
    #seniordogs

• 2.  RE: Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 07-27-2018 02:24 PM

Amazing!! Love this video! It's so wonderful to see how far Muttville has come from its humble beginnings in your home. Excited for what's next!  @Muttmom1

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 07-27-2018 08:17 PM

@Muttmom1 Seniors have a special place in my heart, this inspires me to help them even more. Thank you for advocating for all species everywhere!

#PeopleManagement

• 4.  RE: Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 07-31-2018 08:12 PM

@Muttmom1Thank you for speaking up for all animals and for mentioning being a vegan as well!  With you on both counts! 

#PeopleManagement

• 5.  RE: Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 08-01-2018 06:46 AM

@Muttmom1 Great Video, I'm in the shelter all the time and see the same, the puppies and young dogs make it out when the older ones do not.  I have a heart for the seniors and focus on finding them foster or homes.  Thank you for your inspiring interview and video! 

#PeopleManagement

• 6.  RE: Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 08-01-2018 09:07 AM

Love the video. It was done so well with the story lines.  I love the senior dogs too! I picked up a senior beagle walking along a very busy road last year. Daisy is probably 13 and we still have her because she is just the best dog.  I am hoping that she got lost and did not get turned out.   Sherri @Muttmom1, what you said about respecting all animals and not forcing our will onto them struck a chord because I feel the same way.  It's one of my biggest disappointments with humankind!  Thank you for what you do.  I hope to be able to do the same soon.

#PeopleManagement(includingVolunteerIntegration)

• 7.  RE: Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 08-01-2018 09:14 AM

I love Daisy!! She is lucky you came by, for sure!!

#PeopleManagement

• 8.  RE: Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 08-01-2018 10:52 AM

@Muttmom1 (Sherry), what recommendations do you have for other shelters who want to start or expand hospice programs?

#PeopleManagement

• 9.  RE: Meet Founding Member Sherri Franklin

Posted 08-02-2018 08:25 AM

HI Karen, We have put together a manual and I would love to share it with you. PLease email me at sherri@muttville.org for more info. I would share it here but it's not fully edited yet!

#PeopleManagement