Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Attorney recommendations for volunteer agreement/liability forms

Posted 10-25-2019 09:24 AM

I'm developing a citizen science program for monitoring free roaming cat populations and conducting impact assessments for feline spay/neuter groups.  Most of my volunteers will be online processing data, and my citizen science software already had user agreement templates I could use for those folk.  I'll also have in-person volunteers walking through areas photographing cats with their phones, although there is no reason they need to be making any physical contact with any of the cats.  I'd like to have an attorney draw up a volunteer agreement/liability release for my in-person volunteers, and to have an attorney's information on hand in case I have other questions about legal matters in the future. 

Who do you recommend as an attorney specializing in advising the nonprofit sector, possibly even the animal welfare sector?  I'm located in Seattle but looking for someone located anywhere and to write agreements valid in any state.

#PeopleManagement

• 2.  RE: Attorney recommendations for volunteer agreement/liability forms

Posted 10-28-2019 06:34 AM

I don't have a recommendation, but I checked out your website and I'm really curious about your organization! My organization is a TNR group in Milwaukee, WI. I see you're starting small-scale beta testing... is Milwaukee too far away to apply at this stage?

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: Attorney recommendations for volunteer agreement/liability forms

Posted 10-28-2019 06:41 AM

(edit: to apply in January!) 

#PeopleManagement

• 4.  RE: Attorney recommendations for volunteer agreement/liability forms

Posted 10-29-2019 11:56 AM

Hi Erin! Nice to meet you. At the moment, I am not setting up any monitoring projects, but I'd love to chat with you about working together later. Email me at kitizenscience@gmail.com

I'm currently doing validation studies on my approach to make sure to test all of my assumptions and make sure that my methods are rigorous. I'm doing this validation work as my thesis project as a Master's student in a Wildlife Science program, with advisors with loads of experience in designing research of free-roaming animal populations, doing statistical modeling, and improving citizen science programs. It's a dream team and I'm very happy I found such a great group of people that would work with me knowing I'm approaching this from a cat advocate perspective.

The January study is testing the online workflow for my system, and people anywhere in the country can sign up to participate in that. In the spring, I'll be doing app testing in the Seattle area. I'm aiming to be ready to start meeting with spay/neuter and TNR groups next fall (2020) to plan to start monitoring experiments in the spring/summer of 2021.

#PeopleManagement

• 5.  RE: Attorney recommendations for volunteer agreement/liability forms

Posted 10-06-2022 11:12 AM
    This is very intriguing.  Although I just saw this post I am curious how it went and what your results were.  I am with a small group that is forming a non-profit animal rescue for our county and our stray cat population is exploding.  We have not had any type of shelter in this county for over 4 years, and it shows.

------------------------------
    Leanne Schmidt
    Board Member
    Carlton County Animal Rescue

• 6.  RE: Attorney recommendations for volunteer agreement/liability forms

Posted 01-23-2023 09:44 AM
    Hi Sabrina,

I wondered if you have any useul information for volunteer agreements?  How did yours turn out?

I'm also in Seattle--would love to meet for coffee sometime if you're available?  Interested in how the cat counting has gone as well.

April King
    Volunteer and Board Member
    Kotor Kitties
    +1 206 407 5336
    http://www.kotorkitties.org