Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Question of the Week #39 - Adopting a Pet Questions

Posted 03-27-2019 10:48 AM

Adopting a pet can be such an exciting and rewarding experience! And finding a cat or dog that is the right fit for your home and lifestyle is important for everyone involved.

As a potential adopter --

What are the most important questions you should ask when adopting a pet?

#adoptingapet
    #questionoftheweek
    #adoptionconversations
    #adoptions
    #qotw
    #AdoptingaPet

• 2.  RE: Question of the Week #39 - Adopting a Pet Questions

Posted 03-27-2019 02:42 PM

See if the animal you are adopting has any allergies, it will save you from having a heart attack worrying about your new friend

#AdoptingaPet

• 3.  RE: Question of the Week #39 - Adopting a Pet Questions

Posted 03-29-2019 06:38 PM

You need to find out if the pet will fit your lifestyle. 

I recently had a foster cat returned, because he was jumping on his adopters counters too much. If she had gone with an older/lazier cat, this would not have been an issue and she would likely have kept the cat. However, she fell in love with his looks, and didn't consider how much an active cat would affect her lifestyle.

#AdoptingaPet

• 4.  RE: Question of the Week #39 - Adopting a Pet Questions

Posted 03-31-2019 07:22 PM

My husband & I have been fostering for several years & for the last year we have worked with our local animal shelter.  Rather than ask 'what's the most important question to ask about the animal', I think it's really important to visit with the animal & make sure that they are both comfortable with you & that you are with them (all members of the family, if possible).  That said, it helps to describe your lifestyle, to ask the following:

Where have they seen a vet?

How old were they when they came into your home/rescue/shelter?

What food & supplements have they been on?

Have they had any medical/surgical/behavioral issues?

What animals/humans/ages has this animal been exposed to?

Developmentally, what can I expect (behavior/attitude/growth)?

What will this animal need (house/yard/exercise/fence/space)?

What have they been tested for?

When should they get their shots/exams/check-ups?

When I write the bios for our kittens we try to answer as many of those questions as possible & describe (as much as possible) their personality.  We also try to welcome the potential adopters into our house to visit with the babies - sit on the floor with them & play or hold or just watch their level of activity.  I have, as much as possible, encouraged all the folks who want to come over to do so.  We have loved working with the adopters & the kittens!

Oh, one more thing - you may want to ask if you can have someone's phone number in case you have any questions...  I often get phone calls from 'new' Moms & Dads with questions, like:  'Is this normal?  Should he/she do this?  What about this?  Should I worry about this?', etc...  It's completely normal & there is NO BAD QUESTION!  (You can always ask here, too)...  Good luck & have fun - but don't look for a certain animal, let them choose you - you will know when you meet the right one!

#AdoptingaPet

• 5.  RE: Question of the Week #39 - Adopting a Pet Questions

Posted 04-02-2019 12:04 AM

How to make  cat become a member of the family faster?

#AdoptingaPet

• 6.  RE: Question of the Week #39 - Adopting a Pet Questions

Posted 04-02-2019 10:14 PM

What is kennel cough and how does it effect your pets.

#AdoptingaPet

• 7.  RE: Question of the Week #39 - Adopting a Pet Questions

Posted 04-15-2019 03:42 PM

Whar method do you use to house train puppies?

What should I do and not do when a bring a shy cat or kitten into my home?

Can you suggest a good vet in my area?

#AdoptingaPet