Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Student searching for municipal shelter data

• 1.  Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 11-24-2019 11:12 AM
      |   view attached

Hello!

I am a graduate student at the University of Georgia and am looking for collaborators who have access to municipal shelter intake/disposition data with location and basic health information. I have built a planning tool for community health program development and the data would be used to test it! I will provide the results and data mapping. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I recently presented the project at the National Council on Pet Population 2019 Research Symposium (https://theaawa.org/page/ResearchHandouts).

Thank you!

Jessie Dyer, MSPH MA
    Doctoral Student,
    Comparative Biomedical Sciences,
    Department of Veterinary Biosciences and Diagnostic Imaging,
    College of Veterinary Medicine,
    University of Georgia

#neglectcase
    #datamapping
    #animalwelfare
    #animalabuse
    #DataandTechnology
    #intake

• 2.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 11-25-2019 11:13 AM

Hi Jessie,

I'd love to hear more about the project and I might be able to connect you with some people that can help with data access. Email me at jessica.schleder@adoptimize.co

#DataandTechnology

• 3.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 11-25-2019 01:55 PM

Hi Jessie...if we can connect offline I'd love to discuss your work.  I am also a doctoral student working on some related issues and would love to discuss.  Let me know an email I can reach you at!

-sue

#DataandTechnology

• 4.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 12-04-2019 12:44 PM

Hi Sue! That would be great! My email is jld33871@uga.edu

#DataandTechnology

• 5.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 12-12-2019 02:00 PM

To @SueN and @Paws4JLee, are either of you aware of a Facebook group or a forum for students in applied animal welfare research (not DVM students)?  If such a thing exists, I'd love to know about it and join, and if not, I'd like to start a Facebook group for us so we can share resources and discuss our work. 

#DataandTechnology

• 6.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 12-12-2019 08:52 PM

Hi! I don’t know of a general applied animal welfare research and think its a great idea! I know several schools and labs have sites. I wonder if Maddie’s fund has a research site or group?

#DataandTechnology

• 7.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 12-13-2019 09:58 AM

All I've seen are resources/forums for DVM students. At the HSUS Expo, I did meet some other students, and I think all but one was going into vet med. Research grad students are rare in this field.

#DataandTechnology

• 8.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 12-13-2019 10:35 AM

If you make a group let me know!

#DataandTechnology

• 9.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 12-16-2019 09:17 AM

Let me see if we can get a space on MPF to have these types of discussions - will keep you posted.

#DataandTechnology

• 10.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 12-17-2019 04:51 PM

@SabrinaAeluro @JLee1422 @SueN You can absolutely create a space on MPF to have these types of discussions and connect with other students! We have a groups functionality that you can use to create public or private groups to have focused discussions on whatever you would like, share resources and send announcements. You can create a group here if you'd like. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions!

#DataandTechnology

• 11.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 01-06-2020 04:59 PM

Thanks for the offer!  I wasn't thinking of a private group, I was thinking of a forum that's open to all students that they can find easily.  That's why I was thinking Facebook, but having a student section under the Topics here on MPF would be useful, too.

#DataandTechnology

• 12.  RE: Student searching for municipal shelter data

Posted 12-03-2019 02:17 PM

I can help with data for west GA and help with a list of local counties that publish online. Also take a look at https://www.nokillhuntsville.com/ and their fb. They have been collecting and posting data monthly for years with lots of detail on kill rates & reasons. If you just want pure data to assess your tool, it is probably the most detailed and accurate you will find. Best Friends Animal Society has a new online tool that goes nationwide but I'm not sure that data set is what you want/need for your project. https://bestfriends.org/2025-goal

#DataandTechnology