Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Volunteer Recruitment

Posted 08-14-2018 11:15 AM

Hi everyone! I'm new to the world of working in rescue. The organization I work is on the smaller side, and does not yet have their own brick and mortar facility. One of my main jobs right now is to recruit some desperately needed volunteers. We have three adoption partner sites at area pet stores and need two volunteers a day to help with morning and nighttime feedings and cleanings. One is in a major city, and one is about a half hour away in the suburbs. The site in the suburbs is really difficult to staff, and without living in the area and having connections I'm running into difficulty getting volunteers recruited. I've just about exhasted social media (through our pages, plus posting in local community groups). Any suggestions or ideas that have worked for similar organizations?

#volunteerstrategies
    #volunteerrecruitment
    #PeopleManagement
    #volunteermanagement

• 2.  RE: Volunteer Recruitment

Posted 08-16-2018 06:15 AM

Facebook let me create a job posting. I got several hits off of that.  Also check into local churches, high schools and retirement centers.

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: Volunteer Recruitment

Posted 08-16-2018 11:32 AM

Does your organization post their pets on the AdoptAPet website? If so, you can also post volunteer opportunities on that site.  For example, I just searched for volunteer opportunities in a 35 mile radius from my location and see 16 opportunities from different rescue and shelter organizations. You can post a variety of volunteer jobs and get notified when someone says they're interested. When we ran our own foster-based adoption program a few years ago, we used this feature.  

I've attached a screenshot of my Volunteer Opportunities search in AdoptAPet.

You can also post volunteer opportunities at VolunteerMatch:  https://www.volunteermatch.org/nonprofits/ . I've attached a screenshot of their "Animal" opportunities near me so you can see what they look like.  

Both of these options are free and can help recruit volunteers in a specific area.  Good luck!

#PeopleManagement