Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Meet Founding Member Samantha Sullivan

• 1.  Meet Founding Member Samantha Sullivan

Posted 12-14-2018 12:25 PM

Samantha Sullivan @Town Cats
    Executive Director at Town Cats
    Morgan Hill, California

Tell us a little about you and your history in animal welfare.

SS: "I grew up in Colorado and have lived all over the United States from Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Missouri, Washington and now San Jose, California. I am the Operations Manager for Town Cats of Morgan Hill based in Morgan Hill, CA.

I have an extensive background in all areas of animal welfare from animal shelters to veterinary medicine, animal control and zoo outreach and education. My expertise lies in combining my background in business and operations with my passion and knowledge for cats and animal welfare."

What's an accomplishment you are most proud of in your career?

SS: "I am most proud of a fundraiser for Town Cats with acclaimed cat behaviorist, Jackson Galaxy. It was a wonderful experience and it really helped to build awareness for our organization."

Town Cats staff with Jackson Galaxy

Can you tell us more about the fundraiser with Jackson Galaxy? What made it so successful?

SS: "It was the kick off to our annual Spring Fundraiser (first annual!), and Jackson came and did a presentation for a sold out audience of 150 and a meet and greet for VIP participants. He did a program about cat behavior and an extensive Q&A section.

What made it so successful is that people came from all over to see him and as a result learned about Town Cats and what we do. Additionally, we had just been accepted into the Jackson Galaxy Cat Pawsitive program right before he came out as well, and he spoke about it during the program and even did a Skype call with our shelter manager after the fundraiser about things we could do to improve our shelter to make it more accommodating for our cats awaiting adoption. It was a blast!"

Name something related to shelters and animal welfare that you are super passionate about and want others to learn about.

SS: "We are very passionate about our working cats program here at Town Cats. We have successful placed hundreds of working cats all over the bay area.

Our working cat program helps to provide a home for cats who are not candidates for TNR, but also would not make the best, cuddly housecat. These cats are still treated as family, fed, loved and cared for; they just also have a very important job- rodent control."

Tell us something about yourself people might be surprised to learn

SS: "I am a lifetime learner! I hold 2 master's degrees (one in business and one in wildlife conservation biology), when I am not hitting the books, I am expanding my knowledge in the circus arts as a trapeze artist!"

Who is your “animal welfare crush?”

SS: "My animal welfare crush would actually be outside of the shelter setting. I am deeply involved in the wildlife conservation community, and there are some incredible heroes out there that have done some amazing things in the name of animal welfare. I have already had the pleasure to meet Dr Jane Goodall, and it was an incredible experience.

My next "animal welfare crush" would be ocean conservationist Dr Sylvia Earle. She is an incredible advocate for our oceans and is passionate about protecting them and educating others."

Learn more about their mission at TownCats.org

Thanks for the interview, Samantha and all you do for the cats!

Be sure to connect with Samantha on the forum @Town Cats and ask questions for her below!

#foundingmember
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #interview
    #foundingmemberfeature