Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Wendy Wolfson

Wendy Wolfson09-22-2018 07:26 AM

• 1.  Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-21-2018 11:52 AM

Get to know Veterinarian Wendy Wolfson from New Orleans! After graduating from Louisiana State University's School of Veterinary Medicine, she went straight to work for a large open intake shelter and veterinary clinic. Then in 2007, Dr. Wolfson returned to Louisiana State University and started the Shelter Medicine program where she currently teaches 4th year veterinary students about shelter medicine and surgery.

@Sirius Vet
    Veterinarian
    Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine

Tell us a little about you and your history in animal welfare.

WW: I am from New Orleans… so of course I have a love of food, music and talk with a funny accent.
    Immediately upon graduation (I will not divulge the year) I went to work for the LASPCA which was located in one of the poorest areas of the city. The shelter sponsored a low cost veterinary clinic providing medical and surgical services for underserved communities in and around New Orleans. I worked 6 years as a staff veterinarian and 15 years as medical director for the clinic and shelter. It was a challenging and never boring job

What's an accomplishment that you are most proud of in your career?

WW: After Hurricane Katrina I was offered an instructorship at the Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine. The goal was to start a shelter medicine program which would provide veterinary care for shelters in southern Louisiana and give students hands on training in surgery and medicine.

After 11 years in academia we have a firmly rooted program in the veterinary school. There are numerous courses on animal welfare, shelter medicine, high volume spay/neuter and population control.

Name something related to animal welfare that you are super passionate about and want others to learn?

• The many veterinary students over the past 11 years who upon graduation have entered the field of shelter medicine.

• Partnering with the Louisiana prison system to spay/neuter hundreds of feral cats, teaching inmates skills to become veterinary assistants and provide veterinary care for dozens of cherished pets belonging to inmates.

• To have helped establish the first animal control facility located within prison grounds and staffed by trained inmates in the United States.

• To have LSU as a working partner of the first animal control/adoption center which is located on a university campus.

• To have a firm and honored position established for shelter medicine for the past 11 years in a veterinary school.

• Helping to improve shelters in southern Louisiana become humane, caring institutions for pets. Shelters that participate in our program have substantially increased their adoption rates, have healthier animals for adoption, decreased euthanasia rates and most have made great improvements to their facilities.

Tell us something about yourself people might be surprised to learn.

WW: My passion is to change the court system’s lack of caring about animal cruelty in our community. I am working toward educating students in law school and local district attorneys’ offices about the importance of prosecuting animal cruelty and neglect cases.

Who is your "animal welfare crush?"

WW: My animal welfare crushes are all those who paved the way in shelter medicine... @Julie Levy, @Kate Hurley, Newbury and Griffin. I have met a couple of these ladies and I look at them as rock stars.

My most important mentor was my coworker Dr. Adrie Voors, a brilliant surgeon and veterinarian.

Visit the LSU School of Veterinary Medicine website

Visit the LSU Veterinary Shelter Medicine Facebook Group

Thanks for the interview, Wendy!

You have done such a tremendous amount of work in educating not only veterinary students but also your local community.

We can't wait to learn more about your current projects and many more to come. 

Follow @Sirius Vet on Maddie's Pet Forum and ask any questions or comments for Dr. Wolfson below.

#foundingmemberinterview
    #lsu
    #sheltermedicineprogram
    #sheltermedicine
    #Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #foundingmemberfeature
    #veterinarian

• 2.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-21-2018 12:01 PM

Thanks for being such a strong voice for shelter medicine Wendy.

• 3.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-21-2018 01:11 PM

Thanks Julie for all the advice and support you have given me over the last few years.

• 4.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-21-2018 01:38 PM

Louisiana and elsewhere throughout the country have benefited so much from your inspiring work.  I love how you keep coming up with new programs to address issues, like prison cats, cruelty cases, etc.  Thanks so much for your work!

• 5.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-21-2018 02:58 PM

Love your work, and your last name!  ❤️ 🐺

• 6.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-22-2018 07:26 AM

Thank you... 

After years of teasing, I have learned to love it. 

• 7.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-21-2018 05:48 PM

Great to "meet" you, Wendy!

• 8.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-22-2018 07:26 AM

• 9.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-21-2018 07:21 PM

I love the idea of the prison program.  It would be great if we could do that here

• 10.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-22-2018 07:19 AM

Please feel free to contact me. Perhaps we can bounce ideas to get you started. Years ago I never had a clue about prisons, inmates and the advantages of combining animals and prison programs. Anything is possible.

• 11.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-23-2018 07:33 PM

I am a volunteer at our shelter.  I would like to talk to our director and Get back to you.  I think we could make a difference in the community. We are McKamey Animal Center in Chattanooga, Tennessee.  Our director is Jamie McAloon.

• 12.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-25-2018 04:56 AM

Morning,

Please feel free to email me directly..

wwolfson@lsu.edu

Happy to help

• 13.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-25-2018 09:44 AM

thank you so much.  I will be in touch

• 14.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-22-2018 06:58 AM

Are you aware of Louisana's policy on POUND SEIZU.RE?. I know the .University of Tuskegee  in .Alabama takes animals from the government run shelters for practice in their vet school. I hope your. university did not do this...….A lot of sta.tes in the south allow this . .I'm afraid that. Louisana does.too  .Would you be acceptable to .fighting this injustice and making others aware of the horrible practice?  Go to. BAN POUND SEIZURES on f ac e book to learn the facts.      ..

charlomail@yahoo.com  please repond to me personally. Charlie Lopez

• 15.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-22-2018 07:04 AM

correction....it is STOP POUND SEIZURES    not ban......Please everyone look .this up on .facebook. Become a member and fight for animals and against .cruelty...  Charlie Lopez

• 16.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-22-2018 03:16 PM

Wendy, it has been years, but this is Melanie Manning, not sure you remember me.  The last time I spent time with you was in Coller's kitchen.  I am now on the JSPCA Board and helping the Jefferson Parish Animal Shelter.  We have a wonderful shelter veterinarian, Dr. Genevieve Wisdom.  I hope you will stop by one day to meet her.  So happy to read about all your accomplishments, here.  Thank you.

• 17.  RE: Meet Founding Member Wendy Wolfson

Posted 09-23-2018 06:03 AM

Hello!

It has been years since we last saw one another. I hope to see you in person soon, as we are planning a couple of projects with the Jefferson Parish Shelter. Hoping to meet Dr. Wisdom during our TNR adventures.