Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Mr. Picky

Posted 06-13-2019 07:21 PM

Hello all! This is my first post and it’ll be on food questions for my recently adopted, 4 year old cat, Kiko!

Right off the bat at the adoption center, I knew Kiko was a picky eater once I saw the 4 plates of different wet foods, a buffet even, left out for him. The staffs and I figured maybe it was due to stress, as Kiko was surrendered by his previous family of 3, almost 4 years. 

Fast forward to today: it’s been 2 weeks since Kiko joined our home and he’s been loving it. However, he is still one picky eater!!!

Kiko would rather starve than eat dry foods. Not only that, his wet food has to be mashed up in pate texture. Even then, it’s rare for him to finish even 3oz of super premium wet food. But get this! The cherry on top is my speculation that he was fed SPAM (!!!! the canned meat made for human consumption) because he went BALLISTIC the first time he heard me pop the top off of a can of spam (that I fed myself). He went wild doing zoomies and meowing like I’ve been starving him forever and even went as far as fetching spam pieces out of the garbage!

Help! Anyone out there with a super pick eater? Possibly one that needs some sort of pallet correction? Any tips or personal experiences appreciated!

🐾 Kiko’s Momma

#picky
    #food
    #newcat
    #PetHealthandNutrition
    #pickyeater

• 2.  RE: Mr. Picky

Posted 06-14-2019 09:24 AM

Animals accustomed to people food are a problem, especially since they frequently are attracted to food that isn't the best, even for people.  I had a cat who tried to eat spaghetti (I think it was the sauce) right off my plate.  You might try to put small amounts of desired food ,in with high quality cat food. Cats are highly motivated by aroma,   from there try to expand, and wean off spam.  I have fed sick cats baby food, to try to stimulate appetite.  baby food meats come in ham,  which might tempt,  but this too shouldn't be final step.  Have you tried exposing cat to other home cooked food (boiled chicken,  boiled eggs, tuna fish, low sodium broth)  all in attempt to expand pallet to high protein, low processed food and away from seasoned people food.  Finally, or perhaps first,  ask your vet for advice.   Is cat losing weight? If so trip to vet is more important than if not.   Bad teeth might be contributing to problem eating.   Once you have made some progress with food,  I frequently mix a spoon of wet food (gravy or stew) in with dry food for cats and dogs.   Good luck with Kiko,   he is luck to have you.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Mr. Picky

Posted 06-14-2019 04:38 PM

At the market buy some turkey and chicken baby food. It's totally pureed food meant as I first time food for human babies. It's expensive, but worth it if it works. Mix quite a bit in some canned cat food and give it to Miko. If he likes it you can keep the ration for awhile and then SLOWLY decrease the amount of baby food. I hope this helps. I keep baby food around in case one of the cats I live with feels ill or develops pancreatitis and needs something after their visit to the vet.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: Mr. Picky

Posted 06-15-2019 06:34 AM

salmon oil, pour a little on his dry food. or any kind of oil really. I had popcorn 1 night with the pour over butter flavored canola oil and later found my cat in the trash licking the bag. Atleast its good for their skin and hair. lol

#PetHealthandNutrition