Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Enrichment Program

Posted 02-04-2019 11:57 AM

We were awarded a grant from Maddies Fund to begin an enrichment program. We house up to 60 dogs and around 90 cats at any given time. I am looking for examples of how established enrichment programs currently track the animals and the items. Also, if anyone has policies or procedures for their program they are willing to share, it would be greatly appreciated! I am starting from scratch and feel like an author with writers block. TIA!

#dogenrichment
    #catenrichment
    #OrganizationalManagement
    #enrichment

• 2.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-04-2019 03:22 PM

Hello  I would very much appreciate information about various enrichment programs and their protocols for cats.  I am starting to volunteer more actively with a rescue and they could greatly benefit from an enrichment program to enable some cats to move out of the rescue into forever homes.  Thank you, Jclutter, for the inspiration.  I think iI have found my calling and need the information about protocols to help the rescue and to help the cats.

• 3.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-04-2019 04:28 PM

Best Friends LA do a great enrichment program, I'm did a short volunteer stint with them and if you contact them I'm sure they'd be happy to share. They had a chart that volunteers could reference and update. (I worked with the cats side- not sure on dogs side)

• 4.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-05-2019 01:15 PM

Thanks, Purrlo.  @Aim C. at Best Friends  Is this something you could share on this thread?

• 5.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-05-2019 01:21 PM

Yes, let me reach out and see what I can dig up from our LA team.  Thanks!

• 6.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-06-2019 09:39 AM

@BHSFoster We had a great cat enrichment "Power Hour" last April. Click here for the recorded Cat Enrichment Power Hour . There are two accompanying handouts as well: Click here for feline resources document and Click here for feline environmental checklist. I hope this helps and happy viewing!

• 7.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-07-2019 01:08 PM

I've got more great stuff @BHSFoster and @cathorse!

We don't have one document that lays everything out, so below you'll find 3 documents and 1 photo that, together, cover cat enrichment. 

1. Cat Staff Enrichment Protocol - This lays out how the cat staff has project cats and buddy cats that they do enrichment with.
    2. Enrichment Log - Detailing types of enrichment that can be done with the cats
    3. Schedule for Passive Enrichment during cleaning shifts - This tells volunteers and Staff which types of enrichment should be done each day during cage cleaning
    4. A photo of one of our cat enrichment boards. This shows enrichment above and beyond the daily passive enrichment during cleaning.

There are also 2 documents for canines.

1. Canine enrichment tracking with puzzles

2. Kennel layout example

I hope you find them helpful! Also @cathorse, I have posted a link to a cat enrichment webinar we had last spring and 2 additional feline enrichment documents, in a separate response in this thread. Happy viewing!

• 8.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-07-2019 02:43 PM

That is great information... it has definitely helped me begin to visualize some of the tracking. Thank you for sharing!

• 9.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-07-2019 10:20 PM

Thank you so much.  Incredible information that will help us help our rescues.

• 10.  RE: Enrichment Program

Posted 02-08-2019 07:54 AM

thanks so much. (april from fearless kitty rescue)