Message Image  

Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Boredom Buster Program -- Incredible Low-Cost Shelter Enrichment Resource!

Posted 07-08-2019 02:30 PM
      |   view attached

One of our grantees, Far Side Journey, developed the Boredom Buster Program, a low-cost shelter enrichment program for dogs, and piloted it at the Los Angeles Animal Services' Chesterfield Square Animal Care Center. The pilot was a success and they're planning on continuing it and implementing at another shelter!

I'm sharing it with you today because they created an incredible e-booklet that can be used by any organization to start or expand an enrichment program for dogs. Why is their e-booklet such an incredible resource? They've got a ton of enrichment activities (some tried and true, some new), and Appendices with report/schedule/whiteboard examples so you don't have to start from scratch. What really sets their e-booklet apart is they break down each enrichment activity into two levels:  a Staff Resource Requirement level, and a Volunteer Difficulty level. Using their system, you can easily customize your program to match the available resources at your shelter. 

Check it out and let me know what you think. I love it! Boredom Buster Program e-booklet

A special thank you to India Griffin @Irgriffin2 from Far Side Journey for allowing me to share this in the forum! 

#boredombuster
    #enrichment
    #lowcost
    #lowcostenrichment
    #shelterenrichment
    #AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment
    #dogenrichment
    #EnrichmentProgram

• 2.  RE: Boredom Buster Program -- Incredible Low-Cost Shelter Enrichment Resource!

Posted 07-09-2019 06:11 AM

This is fantastic!! I'm printing multiple copies for staff and volunteers. Thank you so much for sharing this.

• 3.  RE: Boredom Buster Program -- Incredible Low-Cost Shelter Enrichment Resource!

Posted 07-09-2019 07:13 AM

Rats! I can't access it -- I get a firewall. Could you possibly send it by email? silvercometawa@gmail.com

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

• 4.  RE: Boredom Buster Program -- Incredible Low-Cost Shelter Enrichment Resource!

Posted 07-09-2019 10:10 AM

It's a large file and cannot be sent by email. I'm not very tech savvy, but I was able to get it uploaded to our website. You will be the first to download it from the website, so let me know if you experience any issues. Here's the link... Low-Cost Shelter Enrichment E-Booklet

We hope you find it to be a valuable resource!

• 5.  RE: Boredom Buster Program -- Incredible Low-Cost Shelter Enrichment Resource!

Posted 07-23-2019 07:55 AM

Got it! Great resource...thank you for sharing! <3

• 6.  RE: Boredom Buster Program -- Incredible Low-Cost Shelter Enrichment Resource!

Posted 07-09-2019 11:08 AM

We updated the post to include the PDF as an attachment! You should see an icon for it at the bottom of the discussion and be able to click to view in your browser and you can save it from there. Thanks again to our friends at Far Side Journey!

#Behavior,TrainingandEnrichment

• 7.  RE: Boredom Buster Program -- Incredible Low-Cost Shelter Enrichment Resource!

Posted 07-09-2019 10:07 AM

Thank you Kim for sharing and thanks to Maddie for making the e-booklet possible. We learned so much as we implemented the pilot program at the Los Angeles Animal Services' Chesterfield Square Animal Care Center. The staff and volunteers are wonderful and they really pitched in to help with the program. We are hopeful the e-booklet will be a valuable resource for any organization wanting to provide enrichment activities or increase the number of enrichment activities they currently provide.