Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only

Reclaiming microchipped animals to non-owners in Petpoint.

• 1.  Reclaiming microchipped animals to non-owners in Petpoint.

Posted 04-29-2019 03:14 PM
    Hello!   I had some difficulties posting this so if it shows up multiple times I apologize. 
    I'm hoping to reach out to other Petpoint uses on the forum to ask how they typically handle reclaiming a dog back to a non-owner in Petpoint that is microchipped?
    As many of you know (or maybe not) when performing a reclaim in Petpoint it will automatically register the microchip on the animal to the reclaiming person (even if that person is not the actual owner.) There is a greyed out check box to not create an ownership with the reclaim but at this time it's not an option to uncheck.
    We had a situation where there was a dispute of ownership on a dog that a friend reclaimed for the owner, but when that reclaim happened (years ago) Petpoint registered the chip in the friend's name. We had all the explanation in our memos but ultimately the chip had the wrong information registered to it because of the RTO we did.
    I reached out to Petpoint and they had two suggestions
    1. Just reclaim to the friend of owner/dog sitter but have the reclaim contract still in the owners name so not to register the chip incorrectly. This does not work for us because we have a reclaim contract, and we can't make someone sign a contract that doesn't have their name on it.
    2. They told me I could create a new outcome subtype of "RTO non-owner" and create a different contract, where the owner is still the reclaiming person but that we hand fill in who actually picked up the dog with the contract. This would work but is confusing (because owner is not present/may be difficult to get ahold of to give their current information) and in my opinion, this is not very legitimate.
    They said I could put in a request to have that ownership box able to be unchecked at the time of RTO which for me, makes the most sense but that there is "no guarantee" that this will happen unless multiple shelters request it.   My questions are:
    Where you aware that this happened?
    What do your shelters do to combat this?   If this is also a problem for your shelter, can you please put in a request through Petpoint so that possibly this will get on their list to edit?   Thanks so much for your time and any suggestions!
    Karen
    #ReturnstoOwner/Guardian