Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Anxious predatory cat

Posted 12-30-2019 01:35 PM

My newly adopted Siamese-mix cat is aggressive and sweet. I don’t know what to do to get him to stop biting/scratching. I would hate to return him. On gabapentin. Is there a better drug for anxiety?
    problems:

• petting aggression - Before reading up on this, he scratched my arm. I’m using soft handle of fishing rod toy to pet him now & really likes it, purring, prefers petting to playing  when I enter room.
    • routine: Enter, do food, sit on box while cat eats, then play, quiet time, cleanup. Leave if bite/scratch
    • His eyes were slits when I came in but round when he scratched and I left

Slinky eyeballs me, I look away

I feed him with meds first, then he eats half the food and comes to me. Loves petting with toy, arches,purrs, weaves around feet, pets his head on my hand (on lap as fist), jumps on lap, eats. Sometimes jumps on counter, eyeballs, reaches out maybe attack.

ready to play with fishing rod toy. Jumps and chases abt 10 min.

back to food, then ready for petting.

i used toy to pet him & he bit the toy -should I have left? Shortly after, turned and went to claw me but halfhearted, no blood. I left.

its been 8 days he’s isolated in bathroom with toys, water, litter box 

HELP!

#overstimulation
    #bite
    #PetBehaviorandTraining
    #justadopted

• 2.  RE: Anxious predatory cat

Posted 12-30-2019 02:50 PM

Hi Hollu! 

I read your info, but I wanted to ask if you have any info on his history? 

Also, have you checked with your vet for an update? 

I am assuming that he is sequestered to the bathroom because you have other cats & are trying to get all the cats comfortable with each other through a door - but please confirm that, if you would?

Did he come with the meds or were they prescribed by the vet?

I'm not sure I can help, but sometimes, together, we can help your cat...

Jane Naus

#PetBehaviorandTraining