Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Newborn orphaned kitten not pooping

Posted 04-01-2020 05:35 PM

My boyfriend found an orphaned kitten about 2-3 days old, I've had it for a few nights I've been trying to stimulate its pee and poop and I can get it to pee but I can't get it to poop. I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of things on the internet and how to stimulate and the kitten. I put some  canned pumpkin and it's kitten milk and it still hasn't stimulated a poop what do I do.

#FosteringaPet

• 2.  RE: Newborn orphaned kitten not pooping

Posted 04-01-2020 09:14 PM

Hi Hula, Thank you to you and your kind boyfriend. Since it has been a while I would definitely call the vet-even an emergency 24-hour vet- or a rescue close by and have them talk you through this or physically/virtually show you. You may be able to bring the kit to them so they can help him go the first time. Trying this yourself right in front of them would be ideal...but that would likely not be possible right now. Do you have a "cat" rescue near you? Most importantly don't delay just reach someone. Even with the best of care...kittens are delicate. We have been there. We are praying for you and your little one.    

#FosteringaPet

• 3.  RE: Newborn orphaned kitten not pooping

Posted 04-03-2020 02:02 AM

Last she was finally able to pooped alittle it was kinda dark brown almost black and and hard as a rock. she pooped a couple times  after that also.  Tonight she pooped again and it was alittle softer  and much lighter color alight brown. Also it looked more moist. I was pleased to see it that way, I felt I was making progress. I did how ever see what ithink are worms so first thing in the morning I'm going to address that and get that taken care of. .I thank you for your help and I promise to keep you updated on her. I think she's going to be okay. She's my 2nd kitten rescue. These little guys are allot of work, but it's very rewarding. I love her so much already. 💖

#FosteringaPet

• 4.  RE: Newborn orphaned kitten not pooping

Posted 04-20-2020 06:17 PM

I have been offline for a few weeks-what a joy to read this today. Thank you for the update! I am so glad to hear that she is "going" now! She is adorable, so glad you included pictures. May God continue to bless and guide your efforts. Sarah

#FosteringaPet

• 5.  RE: Newborn orphaned kitten not pooping

Posted 04-02-2020 07:05 AM

We get this question a lot on our Caring for Orphaned Kitten videos.  We do advise caregivers to consult a vet as there could be a blockage in their intestines. We also advise diluting the kitten formula/milk.  Sometimes it does take awhile to stimulate with a warm, damp, soft cloth.  Check out the related links on this webpage - and thank you for caring for the kitten! 
    https://www.maddiesfund.org/orphaned-kitten-care-how-to.htm

#FosteringaPet

• 6.  RE: Newborn orphaned kitten not pooping

Posted 04-13-2020 06:32 AM

Yeah for poop! Glad to hear she is starting to go again. Social animals need to be physically stimulated, not just to go to the bathroom, but to survive. This is especially true when you only have one baby (no siblings to pile together with or bump into. You will want to gently handle and stroke him or her between feedings. Using a soft bristled toothbrush mimics Mom's tongue.

You could also place a clock that ticks wrapped in something soft in the cage to mimic a heartbeat (they have commercial products that do this as well).

This is an Orphan Kitten Bottle Feeders and Fosters Facebook group that is very active and knowledgeable if you need more support. https://www.facebook.com/groups/652342198193392/

Good luck!

#FosteringaPet