Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Allergy shots vs pills, whats better?

Posted 06-23-2019 10:18 AM

what is better for a cats allergies pills or shots? I adopted dragonfly a 10yr old cat 2 months ago, and since i have a screened in porch he's discovered he loves being "outdoors" . 1st morning after being "outdoors" he woke me up meowing in my ear for help b/c he couldnt open 1 of his eyes. i doctored his eye and he was fine, then it happened again 2 days ago. his vet was booked solid and couldnt see him, so i again played dr, but my holding him down to wash out his eye with saline upset him so bad he ran and threw up(believe he was abused in a previous home) so i need to prevent future allergy issues/trama.

thank you, any advice welcome

#PetHealthandNutrition
    #catallergytreatments

• 2.  RE: Allergy shots vs pills, whats better?

Posted 06-23-2019 05:54 PM

Hi!  I am sooo sorry for your boy (and for you)!  I would suggest that for the time being, you don't let him go outside - even if he begs, at least until you see the vet.  It may be that he is allergic to one thing or many things, or maybe nothing...  Are you sure he doesn't have an eye infection (what I call 'eye goop')?  If he has 'eye goop', his eye (or eyes) will water ALOT and then the discharge will become almost white looking.  If it's eye goop the vet can help with that, they will likely prescribe some drops for him.  I wouldn't cross the allergy shots vs. pills until you find out what it is and if you really can't avoid shots or pills. 

If it turns out that he is allergic to something outside, and you can't avoid letting him out, you may want to consider a 'cattio' or a window addition {screen box attached to the outside]?  Make sure to ask the vet, too when you see them about the best way to help him.  Good luck with him!

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: Allergy shots vs pills, whats better?

Posted 06-24-2019 06:47 PM

Please, Please go to the vet! This is serious.

#PetHealthandNutrition