Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

• 1.  Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-09-2019 02:48 PM

In our changing world, shelter & rescue groups often have a need to find volunteers who have specialized skills in addition to walking dogs and cleaning litter boxes. Things like marketing, social media, IT, and accounting are some skills that are highly sought after.

- What are some specialized skills that your organization is looking for this year?
    - How do you go about finding the right people who have the skills you're looking for?

#PeopleManagement
    #skills
    #volunteers
    #qotw
    #questionoftheweek

• 2.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-10-2019 06:59 AM

Teaming up with a local school's business program/class or PR/Marketing program/class is a great way to access interns, campaign project assistance, social media influencers, etc.

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-11-2019 08:46 PM

We recruit retired school teachers to take a dog to school and read to the class

#PeopleManagement

• 4.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-17-2019 02:55 PM

I have just volunteered to work as an educator for my shelter. What are some of the books which are read to classes?  Any suggestions for other activities?  How do you contact schools about availability?  What grades are most open or appropriate?  Please and thank you.

#PeopleManagement

• 5.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-18-2019 09:00 PM

Currently, we are going to schools Monday and fridays.  We are reading to 6th grade students.  The teacher picks the books. We take two dogs for the children to play with.  I hope this helps you

#PeopleManagement

• 6.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-19-2019 09:29 AM

Thank you.

#PeopleManagement

• 7.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-29-2019 01:38 PM

If you haven't already, take a look at resources available through Institute for Humane Education and Association of Professional Humane Educators (I think this one requires membership to access resources). 

https://humaneeducation.org/resource-center/

https://www.aphe.org/

You should also be able to find lesson plans related to rescue through STEM.

WWF (World Wildlife Fund) has resources available if you want to venture outside of companion animals. 

#PeopleManagement

• 8.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-30-2019 11:45 AM

Thanks for really useful information.  In desperation I actually wrote a little book entitled "Scooch, Pooch (or how NOT to train a dog.)" Your info sounds much better.

#PeopleManagement

• 9.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-30-2019 08:29 AM

Check out resources from Red Rover

#PeopleManagement

• 10.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-30-2019 11:42 AM

Thank you, will do.

#PeopleManagement

• 11.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 01-29-2019 01:42 PM

Many corporations provide employees with compensation for volunteer hours. Usually Fortune 500 type employers. If any local to you, might approach their HR department to partner with available resources/match desired skill set to those interested in volunteering. <3

#PeopleManagement

• 12.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 02-07-2019 11:17 AM

Interesting and timely topic.

I am a computer scientist and data scientist who has a deep passion for animals finding their forever homes.

I am looking to chat with shelters about needs they have that might be solved by technology.  We are looking at building something to help shelters/humane societies across the country.

#PeopleManagement

• 13.  RE: Question of the Week #31 - Finding Volunteers with Specialized Skills

Posted 02-16-2019 09:42 PM

Well, as a pet groomer who went through training at muddy paws, I had the privilege of working with lots of rescue dogs. I can't tell you how many ways the grooming process was mutually beneficial. The joy that comes from transforming a stray into a star is amazing. Knowing we can help pets, help people is why I became a groomer. 

#PeopleManagement