Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  New York State Regulations for Veterinary Assistants in Shelter Medicine

Posted 12-02-2019 11:39 AM

In New York State, are veterinary assistants permitted to draw blood on animals in the shelter environment?  It is understood that his is not permitted on owned animals in veterinary clinics, but the animals in the shelter are not owned by clients, they are owned by the organization.  If you are able to provide information regarding any regulations that are associated with this topic, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. 

#sheltermedicine
    #PeopleManagement
    #veterinaryassistants

• 2.  RE: New York State Regulations for Veterinary Assistants in Shelter Medicine

Posted 12-02-2019 01:33 PM
      |   view attached

Adk Cat... just researched similar information for our shelter in Illinois.

I've attached an AVMA file, listed by state:

#PeopleManagement

• 3.  RE: New York State Regulations for Veterinary Assistants in Shelter Medicine

Posted 12-03-2019 08:10 AM

Thank you.  I found this resource as well.  I am trying to find out if there are exemptions or special provisions for the shelter setting since these animals are not "owned" by a private person.  In my experience, there has been more flexibility in some cases within animal shelters since these animals are the "property" of the organization.  

#PeopleManagement

• 4.  RE: New York State Regulations for Veterinary Assistants in Shelter Medicine

Posted 12-03-2019 03:22 PM

You are asking for more than is documented...those are the guidelines.

Within a shelter setting, if a vet allows something to be documented to them and undrr their signatory then the responsibility lies within their purview.

It'd be naive to think that these requirements are not subject to being stretched as grey areas.    

#PeopleManagement