Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Kitten Season Vaccines

Posted 01-25-2019 01:42 PM

We are a small dog and cat rescue with about 1000 a year intake, recently taking on kitten season in a much bigger way as our foster program really blossomed last year. We were able to help over 600 kittens in 2018. Trying to find ways to save precious dollars for next season, we have purchased our own microchips as well as having an inventory of many of the medications needed to handle most of the illnesses ourselves to cut veterinarian costs. We'd like to explore doing our own vaccinations at our adoption center (not including rabies). This would be a huge cost savings for us but wonder about the logistics. Is it necessary to have a specific software program to track these vaccinations or is it as simple as an information one sheet with the stickers from the vaccine bottles and a reminder for the care giver?

#Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization

• 2.  RE: Kitten Season Vaccines

Posted 01-26-2019 05:58 AM

I have seen rescues that use either method. I like having a software program that gives reminders, etc. However, for us, with the reality of timing things and getting fosters in for boosters, we end up generally tracking vaccines on paper instead. We do end up putting them in the computer before adoption but the computer does not benefit us much when it comes to actually making sure things get done.

I also work with rescue groups as well as most animal controls that just have forms where they list what they get and what date they get it, written by hand, on paper. I don't know of any veterinarians that have any problems with it. And yes, many of them give the vaccines other than rabies themselves.

I think the important part is to have a form that is easy to fill out as you go and keep complete and is clear and concise.

• 3.  RE: Kitten Season Vaccines

Posted 01-27-2019 10:00 AM

Thanks very much for the reply!

• 4.  RE: Kitten Season Vaccines

Posted 02-02-2019 08:09 AM

We have always done non-rabies vaccines ourselves.  However, on a much smaller scale.  It works fine on paper in small scale but I think if we scaled up any, we would need a computer program to track vaccines, especially to make sure that kittens are re-vaccinated on schedule. 

We use a standardized form for tracking medical care for cats and dogs with space for the stickers, vac type, date, and person administering.  But it's up to the foster parent to keep an eye on when the last vaccine was and get around to giving the next one, if due.

Never had any issue with vets questioning our ability to give vaccines or record them accurately.  And they know we buy the vaccines from the same place they do, and store them properly.

• 5.  RE: Kitten Season Vaccines

Posted 02-04-2019 10:49 AM

Thank you for your input! I'm feeling more confident now about taking this on.