Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-22-2020 04:33 PM

Hello,

I am looking for sanctuaries that work with dogs with human bite histories. Does anyone have any recommendations of sanctuary that work with dogs with aggression? Any insight is much appreciated!

Thanks! 

#aggression
    #dog
    #AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment
    #nokill
    #sancturies
    #dogswithbitehistory
    #bitehistory

• 2.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-24-2020 06:41 AM

Would love to know what you find out, we have a couple that rescue has said no to due to history. They have not shown any aggression since in the shelter. 

• 3.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-24-2020 08:10 AM

• 4.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-25-2020 06:02 AM

I'm interested to learn what you find out and am following along too.

You've probably already tried but you could reach out to other trainers and veterinarians.

About 15 years ago we adopted a German Shepherd.  It's a very long story and I'll spare the details but we were her 3rd owners.  We were told by one trainer to put her down that she would never fit into any family.  It took close to a month before I could even get any trainer to talk to me about her.

Finally I found a trainer who lived 2 hours away.  He specialized in difficult dog behaviors (dogs that bit).  So we took her to him and he evaluated her.  We ended up working with him and 2 other trainers to bring her safely into our home.  In the end she became a well behaved, precious, loving family member. 

I don't remember the trainers name.  I've tried googling him with no success.

I wish you the best finding an excellent qualified person to help.

• 5.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-25-2020 10:20 AM

Thank you for the advice! What a happy story for your German Shepherd. It is so encouraging to hear stories like that. 

• 6.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-25-2020 11:53 AM

I can tell that this is important to you.  I'm willing to bet that you have what it takes to get the answers you need and do the work involved to help the dog(s) who need help.

Not everyone is willing to put in the effort, but it is so worth it.  I believe this is the main reason most of these dogs don't get the help they need, and deserve.  I wish more people were willing to take the time to do this.  Although I do understand it isn't for everyone, and sometimes circumstances don't allow it.

I can't describe what a joy it was to watch her learn (her name was Sassy), grow, gain confidence and become proud of herself and her accomplishments.  She really was happy when she "got it."  So were we!

• 7.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-25-2020 07:11 AM

I also am following along as my best friend has an aggressive dog and is trying to figure out what to do next. 

• 8.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-25-2020 12:37 PM

Have you tried any of the Best Friends resources? If not, here's the link:

https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/aggressive-dog-resources-getting-help

There's a trainer locator link along with general information. Best Friends also runs a sanctuary in Utah if it comes to that. Just my general observation, there has been quite a bit of discussion on social media about this lately with (not surprisingly) people taking opposite sides of the argument for what is in the best interest of the animal. Victoria Stillwell recently posted about it (see her socials) and some months ago there was a dust up with Brother Wolf Rescue & Sanctuary in North Carolina after some sanctuary dogs were 'euthanized' due to a management & policy change. 

Best wishes for you & the dog. I know this is a tough situation. <3

• 9.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-29-2020 08:03 AM

Hey guys you can try the ASPCA Behavioral Rehabilitation Center in North Carolina. They only work with Defensive Aggression , and unfortunately can't take any Bully Breeds since they are harder to place, and they're trying to help as many dogs as possible. You can either email BRC@aspca.org, or call (828) 484-7790.

• 10.  RE: Sanctuary for Dogs with Aggression

Posted 08-30-2020 08:18 AM