Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-07-2018 02:40 PM

Who is interested or thinking to incorporate online behavior troubleshooting for adopters, fosters or owner surrender due to behavior issues? 

What are you struggling with? 

What is your experience?

What are your challenges or questions?

Been a Foster trainer for giant breeds, and hosted several online and hands-on classes for fosters of national rescues and non-kill shelters ( latest - Austin Animal Shelter with grants of Maddie’s fund) 

#behaviortroubleshooting
    #onlineconsultation
    #fostereducationprogram
    #AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment

• 2.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-16-2018 07:11 PM

I am definitly interested.  I have a foster dog that has some issues.  He has bitten a couple of people, one had to have stitches.  I think it's guard biting and would love to hear what others have done to help their fosters over obstacles like this.  I am working with him, and he is getting better, but am unsure if I can truly trust him not to revert back to his old ways once he's learned unexceptable behavior.  thanks in advance for starting this post.

• 3.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-16-2018 07:31 PM

Thanks for your comment Photoreno. 

This situations are common in fosterdogs with aggression issues. 

Some foster homes avoid reporting bite incidents in fear of putting the dog on a euthanasia list. Some end up adopting the dog and leave the foster program. 

I’m glad you reached out for help. 

To understand the dog’s behavior I would need some more background info

Dog’s past, Foster experience, event-timeline. This will help me create a behavior profile and from there we can look towards the potentiality of another bite incident and make sure the dog is not exposed to another incident. Meanwhile we can set up a training plan based on the behavior profile and the fosters knowledge level. 

In online troubleshooting we rely on the dog-foster relationship and the fosters knowledge and understanding of dog behavior and training skills.

next step: we can set up a behavior diagnostic online appointment and go through the questionnaire. 

Let me know if you want to give it a shot  

• 4.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-16-2018 07:47 PM

Yes! Definitely interested!  

• 5.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-16-2018 08:23 PM

Use this link to shedule 

have a photo of your dog ready. And his info. 

Looking forward 

• 6.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-17-2018 03:28 PM

Hey!  What is the price for this service?

• 7.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-17-2018 05:01 PM

Initial consultation at No cost

Single behavior consultations after initial consultation  $97 ( 45 mins ) 

five week personal online behavior modification program ( 7 sessions+ documents and live recorded sessions $585) 

• 8.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-17-2018 07:38 AM

We dialogued about offering this to our partners (we are a coalition building org.) and had conversations with Jennifer Shryock who used to offer a monthly phone get together for fosters. We wanted to reach out to fosters and post adoption for rescues who were not doing it. Our biggest hurdle is their fear that if we gave out nonworkable info, that would come back on them and make them look bad.  When I took the Lifesaving Shelter Management certificate program by Humane Network we had a discussion about behavior hotlines. At a Best Friends conference seems it was a mixed bag-worked for some and not others.  What has been your biggest hurdle to overcome offering such programs? How did you market it?

• 9.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 08-17-2018 08:42 AM

Thanks for your comment. 

I’m offering online services since 2007. I did not understand the clients fears until I had my own online consultation with a T-touch practitioner. In the beginning I felt it was not personal enough talking to a virtual person. 

I felt the emotional gap of the person on the screen connect and understand my needs. 

It was a turning point in the way I approached the online consultation. 

Online behavior consultation is more complex than in person consultation, because of the fact that the information received is filtered by a  person’s emotions   and training and actions are performed  by the foster. 

To connect the triad Trainer-Foster-Dog we need to create a common denominator or common Module (as  we use in gears)

A common emotional language.

To connect the dog with a trainer we need to get the foster to a acceptable level, the foster becomes the trainer/behaviorist and the consultant becomes the mentor. 

To create a successful behavior modification protocol we need see the situation as unique. 

However, the way dog’s create their relationships with their environment is similar. 

Bad behaved dog’s are those who are not clear about their relationship, don’t follow social rules, don’t know how to communicate, don’t know how to interact  

RELATIONSHIP 

COMMUNICATION 

INTERACTION 

MORALS AND ETHICS 

Teaching the fosters how to establish a healthy relationship actually solves 80% of behavior issues. 

The dog more likely takes cues and directions if he accepts the foster as primary source of information. 

Isn’t it that what a trainer does when he comes to a in-person appointment. 

Based on this idea I created 6week 

Foster/parenting workshops for national rescues 

I started with National Great Pyreneese Rescue - difficult breed, many aggression and behavior issues. 

We created a 6 Week Online workshop for 40 Fosters and trainers. ( 12 hours total) 

The feedback was mind blowing 

Foster-homes could take in more dogs, became active part of dog-rehabilitation and mentors to the adopters. 

Now NGPR purchased a a facility with 32 kennel and has 3 trainers on staff and have created a self help FB page - if needed they tag me and I offer on-retainer services. 

I work with several rescues with that concept.

Similar  concept I applied later With Austin AnimalShelter and friends of Austin Shelter. 

In this case at created a hybrid class combining online class and hands-on class.

This workshop was funded by Maddie’s -  

The combination of online and hands-on he was helpful because people had access to the class video recordings   So they could watch it over again in case that was something they missed. 

Results: Foster were more confident about their skills.

Fosters were more confident handling reactive dogs.

Fosters were more likely to handle behavior issues 

I’m happy to further discuss or answer any questions. You’re welcome to inbox me. 

Here is a link to my webpage about the Strong Bond Program

• 10.  RE: Remote Behavior consultations and post adoption support.

Posted 03-22-2019 12:07 PM

I just saw your message! Check out Maddie's Pet Assistant. Its free post adoption support with behavioral advice.

If you’d like more basic information about the app, check out our FAQ: https://www.maddiesfund.org/mpa-faq.htm

You can test the app by filling out the form at the end of this webpage: https://www.maddiesfund.org/mpa.htm
    Thanks for all you do!

-Amber, MPA Project Manager