Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-25-2020 01:07 PM

We may be stuck at home but the learning doesn't have to stop!

Since most of us are spending more time at home, what recommendations do you have for animal-related webcasts, online training courses, podcasts, recordings, websites and other educational resources?

#EducationandTraining
    #education
    #questionoftheweek
    #qotw

• 2.  RE: eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-25-2020 03:39 PM

I just took the Duke University "Dog Emotion and Cognition" course for free on Coursera and thoroughly enjoyed it. (It's free unless you want a certificate and then I think it's $49.) Here's the link:https://www.coursera.org/learn/dog-emotion-and-cognition? The course is taught by Dr. Brian Hare, the Founder and Co-director of the Duke Canine Cognition Center, and he's awesome! Super easy to learn from. Here's the course description:  Dog Emotion and Cognition will introduce you to the exciting new study of dog psychology, what the latest discoveries tell us about how dogs think and feel about us, and how we can use this new knowledge to further strengthen our relationship with our best friends. 

In addition to the course, you can also do a couple of free games with your dog on www.Dognition.com  which is a really fun way to learn more about your dog and assist in research efforts as a citizen scientist. If you enroll in the course, you get a 20% off discount on Dognition.com if you decide you want to do more than just the few free games. 

I loved both!

#EducationandTraining

• 3.  RE: eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-26-2020 08:06 AM

I've been doing the AAWA's  (ironically much more relevant NOW than when I started it haha) "Going through Hell" series and finding it really useful.

https://learning.theaawa.org/p/hell-series

You can register for the AAWA as a "learning non-member" for free if you need an account, and they have a lot neat trainings/certifications.

#EducationandTraining

• 4.  RE: eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-26-2020 09:45 AM

Me, too! I have to say I found the last one a bit discouraging as far as the real life examples...I hate drama.  :-(

#EducationandTraining

• 5.  RE: eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-30-2020 07:32 AM

True, there was some 'wild' and... sucky... situations they covered, but I certainly walked away feeling more prepared. I've had to deal with some public drama before (definitely smaller scale but possibly with wide repercussions) and felt like I was totally lost in navigating through it; I do think I feel like I could handle it better now as I'm going through this series. And a confidence-boost is so needed right now when there's so much uncertainty out there :) 

#EducationandTraining

• 6.  RE: eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-30-2020 09:24 AM

And sometimes it's just nice to know we're not the only ones having to deal with the crazy & unexpected! 

#EducationandTraining

• 7.  RE: eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-26-2020 09:43 AM

I'm loving the National Kitten Coalition! Great webinar on Fading Kitten Syndrome (and others!), lots of downloadable infographics & tip sheets and a kitten nursery manual! https://kittencoalition.org/resources/kitten-nursery-manual/

Also, the National Animal Care & Control Association is offering a free 3-month trial membership during this crisis.   https://www.nacanet.org/

#EducationandTraining

• 8.  RE: eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-27-2020 12:28 PM

• 9.  RE: eLearning Opportunities?

Posted 03-30-2020 10:52 AM

I just created this webinar last week in collaboration with Best Friends and Michelson Found Animals. A great training tool for staff working from home and a way to ramp up our RTO efforts, which is more important now than ever. My contact information is at the end of the webinar if anyone wants to reach out to me directly.

#EducationandTraining