Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

• 1.  Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 03:31 PM

In this popular and surprising Million Cat Challenge webinar, Drs. Jody Gookin and Sandra Strong discussed the results of their study of survival statistics and novel treatments for orphan kitten diarrhea at an open intake municipal animal shelter. We let their half-hour webinar go about 37 minutes before we had to stop, but that left many, many questions unanswered. I'll be posting some of those unanswered questions here, and Drs. Gookin and Strong will be stopping by to respond.

For those of you who were unable to attend, I'll post a link to the on-demand version of the webinar once it's ready.

#orphanneonatalcare

• 2.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 03:33 PM

Love a webinar with a surprise ending!!! This was a great one. 

• 3.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-07-2019 07:30 AM

Thanks! Sandra and I are thrilled that you liked it!

• 4.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 03:43 PM

I'll go ahead and answer the first question myself! Q: Where can we read the study? A: The Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery, online at https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1098612X19840459?rfr_dat=cr_pub%3Dpubmed&url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori%3Arid%3Acrossref.org&journalCode=jfma

• 5.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 03:43 PM

Hi everyone!  The on-demand webcast is ready: click here to watch! 

• 6.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 03:51 PM

Q: What determined which kittens would get the vitamin supplements?

• 7.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-08-2019 02:10 PM

Kittens that came in for a veterinary appointment for diarrhea because the foster parent was concerned.

Currently we tell fosters if they are eating, bright, alert etc give it a few days and then contact us. 

• 8.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 03:51 PM

Q: Were kittens that received SQ fluids, pen g, tube feeding and were associated with non survival sicker when enrolled?

• 9.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-07-2019 07:29 AM

Our presumption is yes because these kittens were less likely to survive. 

• 10.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-08-2019 02:14 PM

Yes- the kittens getting these treatments were more critical/ill.  Everyone was 'enrolled' in our data tracking but some were not treated due to panleukopenia or severity of clinical condition (fading quickly) at the time we saw them for a veterinary appointment.

• 11.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 03:52 PM

Q: Were you putting the probiotics in the formula with bottle feeders?

• 12.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-07-2019 07:28 AM

No we have not done this, but it is an interesting idea :)

• 13.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-24-2019 07:30 PM

At Abandoned Animal Rescue (Magnolia, TX), some of our bottle baby foster have added Forta Flora to the KMR formula.  Some fosters feel this is very helpful and others are not so sure of the benefit.

• 14.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 03:53 PM

Q: Were any anti-nausea or appetite stimulants used in any treatments? Cerenia, Mirtazapine?

• 15.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-08-2019 02:06 PM

Not in this study group. We find most kittens start eating with vitamin supplement or warming the food.

Since then I have used dermal mirtazapine (extra label due to age) a few times but it's rare.

• 16.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-03-2019 04:06 PM

Q: What are your thoughts on use of PCR diarrhea panel on kittens that do not respond to typical (supplements, supportive care, antibiotics) to try and come up with diagnosis? Many of ours come back corona positive, but not sure how relevant this really is.

• 17.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-07-2019 07:27 AM

I think these can be hard to interpret. Some  (most of) of the infectious agents on these panels can be observed in cats with and without diarrhea. I will run these on cats with an acute, bloody or febrile diarrhea as a broad look for things like Salmonella, Campylobacter, etc. It also might be a reasonable approach to surveying what kind of infections are endemic in a population of cats.

• 18.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-07-2019 04:05 PM

On the incoming protocol, was Revolution applied under 2 lbs? Or only on those over 2 lbs?

• 19.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-08-2019 02:08 PM

Yes, if they are a pound they get revolution on intake.

• 20.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-09-2019 07:29 PM

I just watched your video with Dr. Gookin and it was EXCELLENT! As a rescue, I am currently modifying my own intake protocol (including those kittens I pull from WCAC) and was wondering if you have ever used Diagel or Synacore. I currently use Diagel as a last resort, after other dewormers/anti-parasitics have been used. I have also been using Synacore and/or Pro-Pectalin, so was wondering if you had ever used those. I use HiVite for the most severe cases, but may look into using it more frequently based on your study results. 

• 21.  RE: Webinar: How to turn orphan kittens into senior cats:...shelter kittens...treatment for diarrhea

Posted 10-24-2019 07:34 PM

Our volunteer rescue vet at Abandoned Animal Rescue (Magnolia, TX), likes to use Panacur for kittens with diarrhea.  These are kittens that have already been treated with Strongid on intake and show no signs of parasites.  Does anyone else do this and do you think it helps?