Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Tracking Enrichment and Data Collection in Shelter

Posted 04-04-2018 09:58 AM

I need some help on what to do with data I am collecting on the enrichment program at my shelter. Any and all ideas appreciated! 

So for my shelter, we have daily enrichment happening in basically all areas of our shelter. This is tracked 2 ways - the animal care person who cleans the specific area also administers that area's enrichment and then signs off that it was done. 

Secondarily, our animal care team has started tracking the day's enrichment on the daily feeding charts (now an enrichment/feeding chart), where they write down what enrichment was given to the animal each day (animals may be in multiple areas of the shelter over the course of their stay here). They are also indicated if the animal seemed interested/not interested in the enrichment. This is so that we can track the efficacy of things like kongs and other food-based enrichment so that we aren't wasting it but also so that we can start to tailor the enrichment to individual needs. 

What are some things I can do to track this? I wanted to keep it simple, but what thoughts do you have? Sort of new at this so all help is appreciated!

Use of enrichment vs length of stay

Specific enrichment vs lengh of stay

age vs use of enrichment

Thanks!

#data
    #shelter
    #enrichment
    #tracking
    #AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment
    #behavior

• 2.  RE: Tracking Enrichment and Data Collection in Shelter

Posted 06-01-2018 01:06 PM

I'm following along here since this is something we will be implementing with a pilot group of dogs at the shelter I volunteer at. We had toyed with the idea of giving each dog its own binder and tracking daily enrichment there. We are considering breaking it up into several categories including olfactory, food/novel objects, mental stimulation (puzzles, training), and play (dog-dog and dog-human). We'd track if these are getting done on a daily basis and then how the dog responds to the enrichment. We'll also be tracking stress cues to see if the dog is becoming less stressed, more stressed, or maintaining a balance. 

#AnimalBehavior,TrainingandEnrichment

• 3.  RE: Tracking Enrichment and Data Collection in Shelter

Posted 10-07-2022 10:42 AM
    Casey, did you ever find a way to track this? I'd love to see your results! We recently rolled out a daily enrichment program, but don't have a great way to track and see what is working. 
    Thanks!

------------------------------
    Kendall Sypult
    Program Director/Behavior
    HAWS
    ------------------------------