Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  High-risk euthanasia case in VA needs rehab

Posted 07-19-2019 06:07 PM

Hi friends, I am working to try and save a dog in a nearby shelter. I am not able to get more information until 10am Saturday 7/20. However what I do know is that this hound dog, who is about 5 years old, is an all-around good dog with food aggression issues that has lead to two bites at the shelter where he had been reported to have extreme kennel stress.

I believe that this is situational behavior and there is hope for him if he is able to get the help he needs and a home with someone who is patient and able to work with him. I hope you are able to help with rehabiliting him and readying him for adoption.

I have two dogs of my own, one who is just like the shelter dog in question, so I am unable to take him myself. However, I am dedicated to helping him live a full life and not be euthanized for something that dogs are just not equipped to handle, which is being kept in a shelter that is, by their own definition, at full, FULL capacity.

I am googling as fast as my fingers can but I thought I would ask, does anyone know of any facilities in or around Virginia that would be able to rehab this dog? I am willing to drive across state lines! 

#rescueneeded
    #PetBehaviorandTraining
    #euthanasia
    #shelterdog

• 2.  RE: High-risk euthanasia case in VA needs rehab

Posted 07-19-2019 09:34 PM

Imagine you knew what to do, and get help with your dogs too would you have room for him?

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 3.  RE: High-risk euthanasia case in VA needs rehab

Posted 07-20-2019 08:31 AM

Thank you, I unfortunately would not have room in my home. I also hear he is not good with cats and I have three. 

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 4.  RE: High-risk euthanasia case in VA needs rehab

Posted 07-20-2019 04:11 AM

I would encourage you to Call the Alachua County Humane society in Gainesviile Florida and see if they have room for him? They have a soft spot for hound dogs I was told and I’ve seen quite  a few adopted out as they have a foster FB page.  They also have two amazing foster placement coordinators who have hearts of gold.  

I just foster failed with a Fox hound who also has serious food aggression issues and bit my rat terrier as a result.  Nonetheless we still  adopted her because I can control how I feed them and I taught her to sit and wait till I pour her food in the bowl.  Ok keep us posted! 

#PetBehaviorandTraining

• 5.  RE: High-risk euthanasia case in VA needs rehab

Posted 07-20-2019 08:30 AM

Thank you for the information! So glad to hear that your pups have a great home with you. I will reach out to the human society. 

#PetBehaviorandTraining