Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  My cat needs help.

Posted 06-06-2020 02:19 AM

Hello, this is my first post here so I hope I'm using this correctly. I'm Rylee, the owner of a pure bred ragdoll named Rosie. Shes about 8 years old, we've had her for almost a year now, but recently due to some issues with my father, she has become a strictly outside cat. This hasn't been an issue in the slightest during the past month or so shes been outdoors, (we live in a gated community and our yard is fenced in) and if anything up until very recently shes become much friendlier and relaxed during her time outside. Last week my poor girl went missing for about 3 days, and when she returned she had obviously lost weight. Since that point shes been losing patches of fur on her shoulder blades, lower back, arms, legs, and ears. she also has many small scabs on her nose. My dad says its fleas, but our flea collar and flea treatment seem to be doing nothing as every day her bald spots get a little worse (or she gains a new one). At this point we cannot seek medical help due to income, and I am at a complete loss on what i can do to help my cat. Is there anything that can be done? Would it be best to give her away to someone who can keep her inside? I'm happy to answer any specific questions if it will help me get to the bottom of her condition. Thank you for reading. 

#flea
    #cats
    #PetHealthandNutrition

• 2.  RE: My cat needs help.

Posted 06-06-2020 11:20 AM

There are a number of things that can cause fur loss in cats.

It could be a fungal infection like ringworm. If you have a black light, use it to check her over in the dark. If her bare spots glow apple green I'd proceed as if it were ringworm, although that's not a 100% accurate test.

Do you see her scratching or biting at herself? It could be mange, a parasitic infection caused by the demodex mite. Or it could be an allergic reaction to something in her environment. Stress can cause it, too.

A trip to the vet really is called for, if there's any way you can manage that.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: My cat needs help.

Posted 06-06-2020 07:46 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. Considering what you said and the condition of her face scabs, I am suspecting it is mange. I am trying to figure out a low cost way to get her checked out by a professional. 

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: My cat needs help.

Posted 06-07-2020 12:37 PM

I haven't tried to use this service so I don't know if it will be any help to you:  https://www.royalcanin.com/us/coronavirus-and-pets?mc_cid=5274d37482&mc_eid=5bb650acc4. Got the link during a webinar recently. You probably should take some good, clear photographs of the scabs and bare spots so you're ready to send them along with your request.

#PetHealthandNutrition