Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

We lost little Nero last week...

• 1.  We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 01:58 AM

Hi all,

I've been a foster mom for a bit over a year, but haven't joined the forums until lately. I lost my first foster kitty last week.

His name was Nero, and he was the love of my life. I was going to keep him as my own -- he had an adorable genetic mutation that made his legs and body smaller than his litter mates, making him look like a little gremlin. 

Despite him being in the hospital for four nights, the vet did ALL they could (tests, fluids, antibiotics, even a blood transfusion) but he just went...down hill. I hope that those who read this can maybe send a prayer winging across the Rainbow Bridge for him.

I've got such a giant hole in my heart, but I'm trying to redirect my grief into taking care of his four siblings and three babies I started fostering a couple days ago. Here are pictures of my beloved, beautiful, kind and big-hearted, 24/7 chest snuggler.

I can't remember where I buried this image. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I love you, my beautiful little disaster. I'll see you on the other side and I miss you every moment.

#fostercare
    #animalhealth
    #foster
    #PetHealthandNutrition
    #wherelovewins

• 2.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 04:09 AM

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry..  Little Nero knew love and comfort from you in his short life.  It sounds like all was done for him but sometimes it's just not enough. About 2 years ago, I got a litter of three 6 day old babies whose mo, a barn cat was killed by a predator. The owners cared for them for a few days but I don't know what they fed them.  The 2 boys had stools like rocks, but their sister fared better.  One, Miles continued having poop issues having to have Miralax added to his KMR, and enemas and olive oil too.  Eventually at 6 weeks the shelter vet decided that he had megacolon and she needed to euthanize him.  It broke my heart. I too had decided that I would adopt him because he would have been hard to adopt out.  I had Max and Mabel to care for and that helped my heart.  I still get teary though,(like now) when I remember him.  Then a few months later along came Penny, a 3 -4 week old girl.  All of a sudden she crashed and despite efforts, over a week or so, she passed in my lap on the way to the shelter.  I still blame the shelter vet for that one because I feel that I was not listened to

Turn your grief around by caring for his siblings and the other 3 and the ones yet to come. But know that when you least expect it, the tears will flow. It's so hard to remember that we do what we can, love these little guys and sometimes it wasn't meant to be.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 3.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 04:48 PM

Oh my God, that sounds absolutely horrible. I am so, so sorry those two babies passed -- and having one in your lap is horrible, but I'm sure that was where she felt most at peace, you know?

And yeah, I've a feeling that for YEARS to come I'm gunna have a few little cryfests here and there -- but like you said, sometimes you just can't do enough, no matter how hard you fight for their little lives.

Thank you so much for sharing. ♥

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 4.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 09:05 AM

I'm so sorry, VeriLynn. Losing a pet is the very hardest part of fostering. Nero was beautiful and he was so incredibly lucky to have you caring for him. Hugs!

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 5.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 04:45 PM

Augh, yes, in over a year of doing this I've been SO lucky to have never lost one before. Despite that, though, thank you, and I just hope he's healthy and happy and out of pain now. ♥

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 6.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 09:59 AM

Oh, VeriLynn, I'm so sorry. Your little Nero was adorable. I can see how you fell in love with him. Sending lots of love and prayers to you and little Nero over the rainbow bridge. 

Thank you for continuing to open your heart to his three siblings and your new foster kitties despite being heartbroken. I know from personal experience how hard that is but also know that having the love of other furry critters eases the pain a little. 

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 7.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 04:43 PM

Thank you. And yes, caring for the other babies definitely...eases the hurt a little. I'm just so thankful I was blessed to have him for the best three months of my fostering career.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 8.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 12:21 PM

Bless you both. You honor him by carrying on and he will be waiting for you when you get there. <3

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 9.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 05-31-2019 04:42 PM

Thank you so much ♥

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 10.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 06-01-2019 09:23 AM

Thank you for loving him so much. His was a short time, and you made it sweet for him. You got him the medical care he needed, but he wasn't able to stay. You are a very, very special person to take foster cats. Your love will give them all better lives. Nero lives in your heart, and now he lives in mine.

#PetHealthandNutrition

• 11.  RE: We lost little Nero last week...

Posted 06-04-2019 09:16 AM

So sorry to hear, VeriLynn. You would think that the fragile ones would be a little easier to say goodbye to but i've found that they're WAY more difficult. you invest so much in them and their personalities are so so special. And it just makes it so hard to make the decision to say goodbye. What an honor to have experienced Nero (great name!) and thanks for sharing his story.

#PetHealthandNutrition