Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Question of the Week #38 - Getting Kittens in Foster Homes

Posted 03-20-2019 02:45 PM

With kitty season fast approaching, nursing kittens are some of the most vulnerable animals in any shelter.

What tactics, tips or best practices can you share about getting kittens into foster homes and out of the shelter? What information could help you save more of these little lives?

Be sure to check out the Million Cat Challenge on-demand webcast "Foster on Deck" presented by @Erin Doyle, DVM, DABVP (Shelter Medicine Practice), Senior Director, Shelter Medicine at ASPCA as she shares strategies to create an efficient, proactive, and organized system for foster kitten placement.

Click here to learn more about the webcast here.

#fosterkitten
    #kittens
    #FosterPrograms
    #fosterhomes
    #questionoftheweek
    #qotw

• 2.  RE: Question of the Week #38 - Getting Kittens in Foster Homes

Posted 03-21-2019 08:17 AM

Someone mentioned earlier about a kitten fostering program for senior citizens to bottle feed. Here's the link: http://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=169&pageId=310357

#FosterPrograms

• 3.  RE: Question of the Week #38 - Getting Kittens in Foster Homes

Posted 03-21-2019 03:11 PM

Kelly sent me a great article about a group using seniors to bottle feed. Try googling Pima Animal Care Center.

#FosterPrograms

• 4.  RE: Question of the Week #38 - Getting Kittens in Foster Homes

Posted 03-22-2019 07:45 AM
      |   view attached

I did a Power Hour presentation for Best Friends on this topic yesterday! Here's a link to the presentation on YouTube, and the resources discussed in it are attached: 

#FosterPrograms

• 5.  RE: Question of the Week #38 - Getting Kittens in Foster Homes

Posted 03-25-2019 03:48 PM

OBravo, Kelly Duer! Thank you so much for your Power Hour presentation on finding foster homes. You made me realize how much my group can and should be doing to expand our foster program and spend as much time and energy expanding as we do on adoptions. I also realized for the 100th time that our social media skills need a lot of work.

For example, we could do so much more on our Facebook page to show pictures and tell stories about the kittens that need fostering. Do you know of any resources we could use to help us set up special pages or a section dedicated to cats and dogs that need temporary homes.

Also, thank you for the reminder that many people would rather foster adult dogs than puppies. We need to find a way to feature the older guys, too.

#FosterPrograms

• 6.  RE: Question of the Week #38 - Getting Kittens in Foster Homes

Posted 03-27-2019 07:04 AM

You could try setting up a Facebook group for your fosters. Members of the group are far more likely to see those posts, rather than a separate Facebook page. But definitely still post about pets that need fosters on your main page, too. 

#FosterPrograms