Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Which orgs are doing a great job adopting out hamsters/guinea pigs/gerbils?

Posted 08-21-2019 12:29 PM

Hello! I'm a senior editor for Animal Sheltering magazine. I'm seeking organizations that have significant small mammal intake and feel they do a great job caring for them and adopting them out--if that describes your organization, please reach out! 

#gerbil
    #AdoptionsandAdoptionPrograms
    #hamster
    #smallanimal

• 2.  RE: Which orgs are doing a great job adopting out hamsters/guinea pigs/gerbils?

Posted 08-22-2019 08:32 AM

Our shelter, the Humane Society of Jefferson County in Jefferson, WI, gets in a pretty good number of rabbits and small animals for an organization our size. They usually have pretty short stays, although we do always have permanent resident rats, who are our shelter ambassadors. They visit schools, nursing homes, and appear at our kids camp. It's been a great way for us to show off how smart and friendly rats are and help to fight the stigma associated with them. Our small animal program used to be pretty lackluster, but it's become great due to the dedication and expertise of wonderful volunteers who really love these guys and give them great care, especially our rat expert who handles the rats in all the events they attend. We're also lucky to have members of the Wisconsin House Rabbit Society visit our shelter once a week to socialize and play with any adoptable rabbits for a few hours. Overall, I'd say we do a pretty good job with the littles that come into our shelter. They're certainly well loved!

• 3.  RE: Which orgs are doing a great job adopting out hamsters/guinea pigs/gerbils?

Posted 08-22-2019 12:41 PM

Awesome! Would you mind sharing contact info with me?

• 4.  RE: Which orgs are doing a great job adopting out hamsters/guinea pigs/gerbils?

Posted 08-27-2019 06:14 AM

• 5.  RE: Which orgs are doing a great job adopting out hamsters/guinea pigs/gerbils?

Posted 08-22-2019 09:47 AM

I heard the Guinea Pig rescues in Los Angeles that pull from LAAS and LADACC are really on their game. 

• 6.  RE: Which orgs are doing a great job adopting out hamsters/guinea pigs/gerbils?

Posted 08-22-2019 12:41 PM

Thanks for the intel! Do you happen to know the names of those rescues?

• 7.  RE: Which orgs are doing a great job adopting out hamsters/guinea pigs/gerbils?

Posted 08-22-2019 10:35 AM

WeeCompanions in San Diego are an excellent resource for critters. 

• 8.  RE: Which orgs are doing a great job adopting out hamsters/guinea pigs/gerbils?

Posted 08-22-2019 12:42 PM