Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

• 1.  Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 10-18-2019 01:55 PM

hi all

our shelter is looking to expand our transport programs... (we were one of the 1st shelters in NE to start high volume transport programs where all pets were s/n PRIOR to adoption. Our transport programs started in Feb 1999 so we've definitely learned a LOT and have designed our protocols around illness/outbreaks etc) - our state is pretty strict with transports...

but we are looking to add additional partners who can follow our pre transport medical care prior to transport. Currently we take mostly puppies/young dogs and kittens/young cats.... altho sadly we seem to have been having issues lately with the felines we've had a significant issue with ringworm  
    So, if there are any groups on this forum that are looking for a shelter to take some fur babies pls contact me at

leigh13@ix.netcom.com

and I'll forward you our protocols :) thanks so much! Leigh Grady Animal Shelter Inc.
    We have EMPTY kennels all the time and just having a lot of problems finding reliable groups to send to us regularly.. :( we know there are groups out there so hopefully this post will help us connect....

when I say we have adopters waiting to adopt.... I'm not joking https://www.magisto.com/album/video/MTsjXUNDG1B9OnEHDmEwCX1_?l=vsm&o=i&c=c - we usually have lines of adopters waiting for HOURS prior to opening.... :) GOOD problem to have I know!

#pettransport
    #outofstatetransport
    #TransfersandTransport

• 2.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 10-18-2019 02:11 PM

I'm near-drowning in cats and dogs... but I'm in Oklahoma. Would there be interest in meeting at some sort of halfway point?

#TransfersandTransport

• 3.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 10-18-2019 02:43 PM

we have a 15 passenger van with seats removed so we can fit about 15-20 vari kennels it would just depend what ya'll have... email me off line?

#TransfersandTransport

• 4.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 10-18-2019 04:25 PM

Yes, we are League city pets alive shelter in League City Texas... please send us your protocol to our barncat address lcshelterbarncat@gmail.com. We have year round cat litters here in the coastal south.  We have lovely kitties. 

Patty 281.236.7801

#TransfersandTransport

• 5.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 10-19-2019 07:10 AM

I'm going to give you a link to an organization that transports animals (dogs, livestock, and small animals).  I used to live in Webster Florida and if memory serves me correctly (I could be wrong), this organization has a fabulous reputation for helping transport animals, especially during a crisis (hurricanes when animals need to be evacuated).  When I lived there I heard the highest praise about this organization.  I'm just not sure if I've found the correct one for you or not.

I hate to say it but Florida does have more animals in need of homes and this organization may be a good connection for you.  Here is a link to their facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/djpettransport/

I wish you all the best with this.

#TransfersandTransport

• 6.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 10-19-2019 07:12 AM

I am a volunteer at the Toccoa Stephens County Humane Shelter in Northeast Georgia.  We are a rural shelter and are awash in cats, kittens, dogs and puppies.  I'm sure my administrator would be interested in talking with you.  I'm going to send her your email.  I am not a terribly computer savvy person, but I'm certain we'd be very interested in partnering with you.  

#TransfersandTransport

• 7.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 10-19-2019 01:14 PM

pls email me at leigh13@ix.netcom.com so I can send you the info :)

#TransfersandTransport

• 8.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 10-21-2019 06:38 AM

We are also in a very rural area with more cats & kittens than we can house as a small, non-profit, no-kill foster based rescue. Finding a safe adoption source for our rescues is the only way that we can bring more in. We drive 1 hour 15 minutes to the closest Petco adopt site almost every Saturday in Aiken, SC. Our rescues receive complete medical at intake and forward based on a medical protocol worked out with our vet. Pictures and full medical can be provided on any rescue we have.

Sydnee Voigt - Stray Cat Outreach

McCormick, SC

#TransfersandTransport

• 9.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 11-07-2019 12:18 PM

Hi Leigh --

My organization does primarily advocacy & resource development for underserved shelters in GA (which is most). Sadly, Best Friends has just published that GA is the fifth worst state in the nation for save rates. Anyway, I am happy to pass your information to my network. I'm sure we can find plenty of participants. We are signed up with Doobert which may help facilitate logistics and have several vet clinics and low cost s/n/v clinics for any necessary pre-med requirements. Feel free to contact me at silvercometawa@gmail.com and I will email you soon. Thank you!  ~ Shari

#TransfersandTransport

• 10.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 02-06-2020 02:01 PM

we actually have been working with one group in GA - they were SUPPOSED to be sending a big transport this next weekend but they had a pup break with parvo so they are on hold for 30 days now :( - just so YOU know we have our own s/n clinic on site so as long as the sending shelter can make sure the pets are properly vaccinated (under 9 months require 3 distempers given at 14 day intervals), and rabies at 13+ weeks, dewormed, etc... WE will be happy to absorb the cost of having them s/n/microchipped here in our clinic. We also have a transport group running 3 vans out of Texas and they can always add groups on the east coast as they head North they stop at various locations to pick up and drop off.... best way to reach me is my personal email leigh13@ix.netcom.com I rarely have a minute to visit this forum :(

#TransfersandTransport

• 11.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 11-18-2019 12:11 PM

Hi Leigh -- 

I have shared the detailed email you sent with several groups in GA and had groups from NC & AK ask for the information through a fb group. Unfortunately, just about everybody is looking to place pibbles, but hopefully we can get some regular runs set up through this networking. THANK YOU for the post. <3

#TransfersandTransport

• 12.  RE: Looking for groups to send pets to our shelter in MA

Posted 02-06-2020 01:56 PM

hey there I rarely get 5 minutes to check this forum so pls feel free to email me directly at leigh13@ix.netcom.com for any questions or if you have any thoughts/ideas? :)

#TransfersandTransport