Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Kennel Management and Maintenance

Posted 08-03-2019 08:09 AM

I am with a foster based rescue but because we have so few fosters for large dogs we are setting up an "overflow kennel" so we can assist with a few more large dogs.

We are receiving a partially retrofitted shed that we can have 6 kennels in, and a window a/c unit. Any recommendations on supplies or items to plan ahead and get? Thank you!

#OrganizationalManagement

• 2.  RE: Kennel Management and Maintenance

Posted 08-05-2019 06:29 AM

The Kuranda dog beds were great when I was at a dog rescue! Easy to clean, the 'outdoor mesh' fabric helps keep the dogs cool, they're chew-proof and water-proof... They can be pricey, but if you're keeping an eye out for a few months, you can probably snag a discount, or find used ones Facebook Marketplace/Craigslist/Nextdoor, or even fund-raise to buy some.

• 3.  RE: Kennel Management and Maintenance

Posted 08-12-2019 10:30 AM

I believe any surface will need to be able to be washed/hosed down.  So wood is NOT an option.  Concrete, tile, metal etc. will have to cover all surfaces that animals come in contact with.  Just food for thought when planning.  (We fall under the Dept of Agriculture - as we are shelter based, not rescue based.  LOT'S more rules to follow if you have a shelter.)