Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Meet Founding Member Kim Sanders

Posted 03-29-2019 09:01 AM

Dr. Kim Sanders @SandersPAWS
    Director & Veterinarian

Anderson County PAWS
    Anderson, South Carolina

Tell us about you and your history in animal welfare?

I’m the Director and Veterinarian for Anderson County PAWS in Anderson SC. I knew from the time that I could talk that I would be a veterinarian! My shelter career began a decade ago in an open admission shelter that euthanized daily. It broke my heart and I knew there had to be a better way to save the animals in our care.

What are you most proud of in your career?

My proudest accomplishment would be leading Anderson County PAWS from a 49% save rate to over a 90% save rate in less than 90 days. It is amazing to be able to help the animals in our community. Watching my staff realize that it was possible to save lives and see them grow has been a life changing experience.

Name something related to shelters & animal welfare that you're super passionate about and want others to learn?

I am extremely passionate about teaching other shelters how to successfully implement strategic lifesaving programs. Shelter assessments are challenging but watching the shelters change, grow and succeed is the ultimate satisfaction for me. So far I have been able to assist multiple other open admission shelters achieve their goals of saving over 90% of the animals in their care. Passing on knowledge is such an important tool in our field.

Tell us something about yourself people might be surprised to learn.

I’m obsessed with my donkeys and pit bulls. I have 4 precious donkeys: Olive, Oscar, Opal and Oakee and I have a herd of pitties. They are my absolute favorite breed!

Kim with Oakee

Who is your animal welfare crush?

My animal welfare “crush” is a partnership of two incredible woman: Dr. Sara Pizano and Cameron Moore. I first met them when they assessed PAWS and I owe them all of the success that has been achieved here. They are two of the kindest, most intelligent women I have ever met. We are blessed to have them in animal welfare.

Visit Anderson County PAWS Animal Shelter website

Visit TeamShelterUSA.com

Thank you for the interview, Dr. Kim Sanders! If you want learn more from Dr. Sanders, you can access her lifesaving webcast on demand here: Accelerate your Lifesaving: How to go from 50 to 90 percent live release rate really fast!

You can also connect with her directly @SandersPAWS on the forum and ask your questions or comments below.

#veterinarian
    #foundingmemberfeature
    #foundingmemberinterview
    #lifesaving
    #foundingmemberfriday
    #andersoncountypaws
    #director
    #foundingmember
    #PeopleManagement
    #shelterveterinarian

• 2.  RE: Meet Founding Member Kim Sanders

Posted 04-03-2019 01:33 PM

I just watched the webcast referenced above. Very informative and directly addresses many topics most municipal shelters struggle to resolve. HIGHLY RECOMMEND watching it, sharing it and possibly requiring it for shelter & rescue staff. Thank you! <3

#PeopleManagement