Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Sheila Segurson (she/her)

Sheila Segurson (she/her)07-31-2017 05:44 PM

laurie peek

laurie peek08-24-2017 01:35 PM

laurie peek

laurie peek08-24-2017 01:42 PM

Sheila Segurson (she/her)

Sheila Segurson (she/her)11-20-2017 03:40 PM

• 1.  What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 07-12-2017 10:34 AM

What is your favorite memory related to a foster pet? This pic is of CJ and Roo, a dog we fostered a few years ago and still get to pet sit every so often

#share
    #story
    #FosterPrograms
    #foster

• 2.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 07-13-2017 07:12 AM

What a sweet photo! My favorite memory was my first foster, a tiny 2 lb yorkie named Yoda. Yoda came to BF after Hurricane Katrina and he was separated from his family. Many months were spent scouring data bases to find his family. Right before Christmas, I got notified that his family was found! I got to travel to New Orleans with him and deliver the very best Christmas Present to a family who had already gone through so much. They were in tears. I was in tears. It was a very happy reunion. 

#FosterPrograms

• 3.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 07-13-2017 07:22 AM

What a heartwarming story!!  I don't hear happy outcome stories of reunion from Katrina very often, so thanks for sharing!

Sheila

#FosterPrograms

• 4.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 07-19-2017 12:00 PM

we took in a "Malamute mix" from a shelter.  After we got to know him, realized that he had a fair amount of species other than canine!  Like his brethren, he liked to steal things, particularly clothing.  I remember being at an event and he decided he wanted my foster director's shirt.  She was rather fond of it and the only solution was for her to take it off - thankfully she had on a very pretty bra.  

#FosterPrograms

• 5.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 07-31-2017 05:44 PM

Oh my goodness, hilarious!  Did you find a home for him?

#FosterPrograms

• 6.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 07-19-2017 01:43 PM

I fostered a litter of very sick 3 week old kittens - two of which had significant ocular infections which resulted in blindness.  They all get better from their respiratory infection, but the blind kitties remained blind.  BUT!!  they were all adopted!!  I was so heart-warmed by people in my community who came forward to adopt these lovely blind cats!

#FosterPrograms

• 7.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 07-31-2017 05:44 PM

Do you have any pictures? 

#FosterPrograms

• 8.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 08-24-2017 01:35 PM

• 9.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 08-24-2017 01:42 PM

• 10.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 07-19-2017 06:23 PM

I fostered a somewhat reserved and shy pit bull that looooved our other dogs, and our sweet dogs helped her come out of her shell. Soon, she was showing her gratitude and love by doing rapid pit bull ZOOOOMIES all around the yard. 

She was adopted shortly after that, and when her new family came by for a visit, she literally jumped for joy, and gave me the sweetest, most enthusiastic greeting. My heart exploded <3

#FosterPrograms

• 11.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 11-01-2017 04:10 PM

CJ and Roo!! Roo is doing great, in Arizona.  Loving life.  She misses you both!

#FosterPrograms

• 12.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 11-14-2017 08:56 AM

So many!! One was the time when Annie, Patty and I had to skip Christmas dinner-- Annie had just had her wisdom teeth out the day before and couldn't really eat, and Patty's separation anxiety made it impossible to leave her at home alone anyway.  Annie spent the whole day snuggling with Patty and using her as a heating pad, lol!

#FosterPrograms

• 13.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 11-20-2017 03:40 PM

What a sweet story, Kelly!!

#FosterPrograms

• 14.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 11-22-2017 03:07 PM

I loved fostering the really, really hissy kittens (under 6 wks old). I loved to watch and be part of the change from "stay away from me" to "give me more love."

#FosterPrograms

• 15.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 12-01-2017 02:43 PM

This is Archie, who we fostered in 2013. He would sneak into bed and spoon my husband every night! It's amazing how agile that big boy was  

#FosterPrograms

• 16.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 12-01-2017 03:43 PM

This is Pooh Bear before she went to socialization at my house. She was almost 3 months old and would hiss and lunge at anyone who got near her. It took less than two weeks to have her ready for the adoption floor. These are my favorite kinds of fosters.

#FosterPrograms

• 17.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 12-01-2017 03:54 PM

I LOVE this! What a difference! I feel so sorry for her in the first pic and want to love on her in the second. OK... so I want to love on her in the first, too, but she definitely wasn't ready for it at that point. Thanks for sharing this, Kristi! This is exactly why we all do what we do. 

#FosterPrograms

• 18.  RE: What's your favorite memory related to a foster pet?

Posted 12-01-2017 04:48 PM

One of our favorite fosters was an Olde English Bulldog female named Leena.   She came to us around Christmas 2016 and was 3-years old, had bad demodex mange, had bacterial infections on her skin, was very thin and had been hit by a car a few months before.  Due to the car accident, she had a rear hip that was out of its socket and really needed an FHO surgery to fix the hip.  Lucky for her, she was heartworm negative (yea!) and had already been spayed.  So, we began to get her back to healthy weight and fix her skin issues by giving her bi-daily baths in medicated shampoo, putting her on Nexguard and feeding her a diet of salmon and rice dry food.  This helped a lot with her skin issues!  She then got her hip fixed by our vet and began really thriving and enjoying running around and having fun with other dogs.  By the time she got adopted, we had fostered her for almost a year in our home.  She has a wonderful home in New Hampshire with two other english bulldogs.  She will always be a good memory for me as I had never had a dog that had so many issues just due to her breeding!  I do, however, now know why people love this breed as she was a loving and faithful companion even if she snored!  My husband and I really enjoyed her!

#FosterPrograms