Animal Welfare Professionals

View Only
  • 1.  Question re: hormonal behavior of recently-neutered male kitten

Posted 03-19-2020 09:24 AM

I have a foster kitten of approximately 6 months old, neutered over a month ago.   I will be honest that I've never had a male kitten in foster who was neutered so 'late' (not really that late!).  He has been engaging in simulated mating behavior with a large cat bed--gripping it with his mouth and then, ahem, thrusting.  It appears to be a 'dry' activity.  He is not doing it to the spayed females in the household.  I'm just trying to get a feel for when this behavior may be dropping off as he eliminates remaining testosterone and other hormones from his system.  It was a full neuter.  I'm hoping he's not stuck with this behavior because it's a little off-putting to explain to potential adopters.

#Medicine,SurgeryandSterilization
    #neuter
    #hormones
    #testosterone

• 2.  RE: Question re: hormonal behavior of recently-neutered male kitten

Posted 03-20-2020 02:34 AM

I think such behavior is normal due to physiology. It might be uncomfortable for your family but you have to consider raising another female cat for them to have a couple. It won't mate with everyone in your family anymore.

• 3.  RE: Question re: hormonal behavior of recently-neutered male kitten

Posted 03-20-2020 06:12 AM

I did speak to the shelter vet who neutered him.  She said to give him 6 weeks post neuter to clear the testosterone, but that it also might be a comforting/enjoyable behavior for him, unrelated to hormones. and that we should try interrupting and substituting another enjoyable behavior.