The Social Corner

• 1.  What I learned this week

Posted 03-20-2021 12:32 PM
    Hey,

I need to apologize.

For the past year and especially since the New Year began, Asians and Asian Americans have faced mounting discrimination, assaults, attacks and murders – often targeting the most vulnerable and the most revered in families – our elders, culminating in the killing of eight people, six of them women of Asian descent. As VP Harris said in a speech yesterday, racism, xenophobia and sexism are real in America. And yet on Friday during our Animal Welfare Leadership Roundup, I was silent.

Oh, I did mention a story about the barriers we create in our adoption practices and an upcoming event about black leadership in animal welfare. But I failed to mention how much all of us need to support our Asian family members, colleagues, neighbors, friends who have been traumatized and injured by the onslaught of Asian hate – that this was another opportunity to practice being inclusive and anti-racist.  But I didn't and for that omission, I am sorry.
    To my colleagues Kathy, Irene, Jennifer and Charlotte, I am sorry for not using my voice to show you support and to acknowledge these new threats to your well-being and safety.

I also need to say out loud that this sudden realization did not originate from me. I can be as big of a dumbass as the next person. I owe this all to Ariel Zhang. Ariel and I have never met but she's been part of the national calls for a while. And in the most kind and considerate way ever, she called me out for being silent when I shouldn't have been. As she shared with me, "even accidentally being exclusive is still a concern to the cause as we grow". And she is absolutely correct.

So here's what I learned – the world continues to be pretty fucked up and it's going to stay that way unless and until I do my part. It doesn't matter that I'm only one person and sometimes I'm going to get it stupendously wrong. But I do promise to promptly admit it when I am wrong and then with your help figure out the next right step to take.

Thanks, friends.  Peace out.

Mary

------------------------------
    Mary Ippoliti-Smith
    Maddie's Fund
    510-453-4773

• 2.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-21-2021 05:53 AM
    Apology acknowledged.

And may I ask forgiveness for all the times I have not used my voice in helpful ways, while I was unawake I was human too.

"One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things." Charlie Mackery 

Moving forward I chose to react with awareness...kindness...compassion....how freeing!!

Thanks for leading the way, Mary:)

ingrid norris

• 3.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-22-2021 09:11 AM
    Mary et al,

Thank you, Mary and those who responded, with a great reminder and spur to action.  A year ago, I made a statement on behalf of our organization in support of black lives.   And yet, I too had been silent on the discrimination faced by Asian Americans.  So today, a statement regarding support of the Asian American community has been sent.  

Thanks so much for the reminder and push!

Nora Vondrell

• 4.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-21-2021 07:20 AM

Thank you Mary,

I think we were all complicit in the silence on Friday's call.

And racism, xenophobia and sexism are just as real here in Canada L

Kathy

The best Shelter is a Humane Community

Like Us On Facebook   Follow Us On Instagram

Please review the City of Brampton e-mail disclaimer statement at: http://www.brampton.ca/EN/Online-Services/Pages/Privacy-Statement.aspx

• 5.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-22-2021 01:14 PM
    Thank you very much for saying this Mary (and thank you, Ariel, for speaking up). I also need to apologize for remaining silent.

A friend of mine shared this (sorry, it's on FB) and I found it to be very insightful and timely: https://www.facebook.com/615849504/posts/10159750223869505/?d=n

Shelly Thompson
    Maddie's Fund

• 6.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-26-2021 01:29 PM
    Thanks so much Shelly for sharing this.  I agree, definitely insightful!!

Kathy Duncan
    City of Brampton Animal Services
    905 874 3564

• 7.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-23-2021 08:45 AM
    The lightbulb always goes off when you write or say something, Mary.  And hearts are opened.   You are right, the world is f'ed up, but you are showing me a wise and brave way to navigate it and I thank you.

alison gibson

• 8.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-25-2021 05:11 PM
    Hi Mary,

Thank you so much for stating this during the past Monday's Community Conversation call and on Maddie's Pet Forum. It takes courage to apologize on national platforms!

I think it all goes to show DEI work is going to be painful and difficult sometimes, but will all be worth it in the end. 

Irene

Irene Chansawang
    Maddie's Fund

• 9.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-29-2021 12:31 PM
    Hello!

Since I  brought up Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy (AAPIP) during the Monday call, I want to share AAPIP's statement and an update from Philanthropy.com. 

AAPIP: https://aapip.org/our-stories/a-call-for-solidarity-and-collective-action-asian-american-philanthropy-letter-of

From Philanthropy.com: https://tinyurl.com/jewktbba

Irene

Irene Chansawang
    Maddie's Fund

• 10.  RE: What I learned this week

Posted 03-30-2021 09:33 AM
    Thank you for taking the time to write this out and recognizing the power of your role and your voice. It has been rough seeing the rise in violence toward Asians and Asian Americans but seeing members of our community and our allies stand up and speak out on our behalf has been empowering to see. Like Ariel said on that Monday call, we often feel invisible and I fight that feeling more than I care to say but moments of realization like this make me feel seen and supported, so thank you!🙏🏼

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her