The Social Corner

Expand all | Collapse all

Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

• 1.  Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-23-2021 01:55 PM
    I'm absolutely honored that Mary mentioned my personal/professional mantra at the end of this past Monday's call!  I've been attending those calls since about last May and Mary's pearls of wisdom have become a staple of my weekly sanity check.  

I wanted to go on here to give a little backstory behind this motto, that will hopefully turn into a bumper sticker and/or t-shirt one day.

In 2016, my neice, Téa, (who was two years old at the time) was diagnosed with Stage 4 Neuroblastoma.  The TLDR version is that it's a cancer that attacks the kidneys with 90% of it effecting children under 5 years of age.  She, my brother, his wife, and my nephew live back in Connecticut from where I originally hail.  I went up there for the first two weeks after her diagnosis to help in any way that I could.   Eventually, I had to go back to Texas and could only connect via video calls with them.  (Was doing it waaaay before Covid made it cool). 

If you're curious, my sister-in-law documented all of the journey/fundraised on Facebook.  At one point, I did a video chat with my brother where we were both strucken with fear and in tears with uncertainty. Téa insisted on getting on the call with me to share the excitement of her purple shoes.  It was in that moment that I was inspired beyond anything I could find in the self help section of Barnes & Noble.  Here's a two year old going through the most unimaginable amount of struggle and hardship and what's her focus???  Purple Shoes.  

Shortly after, I naturally hit up Amazon to acquire my own pair to serve as a reminder to that simplicity.  In 2017, after numerous rounds of chemo, a kidney removal, stem cell transplants, etc. Téa was finally cleared as NED (no evidence of disease).  She's been cleared ever since!  

I've faced countless other hardships before and after all that went down:
    • Last August, I said goodbye to my furry soulmate of 15 years
    • February marked 7 years of sobriety for me
    • This coming June is going to be the 10 year anniversary of losing my mom
    Insert the 1,001 choatically uncertain issues that I've faced since starting in the animal welfare industry in 2019.  

Téa and I have both grown out of our purple shoes, but we'll never lose their meaning.

Find the little things, tiny joys, and simple moments to drive you.  Human nature typically drives us to focus and stress over the negative and things we should or could have done.  Take a white knuckle hold to each and every bit of happiness that you can find so you can keep showing up and keep giving a sh*t! 

------------------------------
    Lucy Fernandez
    Austin Pets Alive

• 2.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-24-2021 04:22 AM
    omg Lucy-what a beautiful message and blessing that Tea is NED!! God bless you and your family-kids have a way of staying 'focused' on joy without even calling it that.  Somewhere along the way to adulthood we forget to trigger that way but purple shoes are the perfect reminder! xo

Sara Pizano
    Team Shelter USA

• 3.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-26-2021 06:21 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to read this, Sara!

Lucy Fernandez
    Austin Pets Alive

• 4.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-24-2021 08:19 AM
    Lucy, what an inspiration you are!!! And Tea!!!  Whenever I see purple shoes I will think of both of you.  And give a s***.  Thank you for all you do and for reminding me to hold the smallest of joys tightly.

alison gibson

• 5.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-26-2021 06:23 AM
    Thanks, Alison!  Giving a sh*t comes in all forms and levels.  Even on the burnt out days, just going to one of the community convos with the camera and mic off and listening to other share hardships and successes has proved invaluable.

Lucy Fernandez
    Austin Pets Alive

• 6.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-24-2021 09:14 AM
    Thank you for sharing the inspiring story behind your motto! And I just couldn't resist, had to make a couple versions of your motto in sticker form:
    Censored No Paw
    Censored w/ Paw

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 7.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-24-2021 09:54 AM
    Oh wow, Charlotte!!  Your stickers are AWESOME!!!

alison gibson

• 8.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-25-2021 07:04 AM
    Can't wait to see what contributions to the world all the people affected by this story make.  We are all here for a reason.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for the sticker renditions, they are Marvelous!!!

ingrid norris

• 9.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-26-2021 06:29 AM
    Anyone and everyone is welcome to share this story!  Most folks in my social circle know about Téa's story and her impact on my life.  Even if it inspires just a handful of folks in this crazy, uncertain animal welfare space, it's worth the half hour of vulnerability that it took to type it.  

Lucy Fernandez
    Austin Pets Alive

• 10.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-26-2021 06:25 AM
    OMG, Charlotte!  I've been sharing the HELL outta these stickers!!  Even my shrink got misty-eyed when I showed her.  Might even be a tattoo idea for me once I feel safe enough through this pesky dang pandemic :D

Lucy Fernandez
    Austin Pets Alive

• 11.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-26-2021 01:25 PM
    Charlotte - those are freakin' awesome!!!

Kathy Duncan
    City of Brampton Animal Services
    905 874 3564

• 12.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-25-2021 03:40 PM
    Dear Lucy.  Your family members are total badasses - from the youngest to the oldest.  Wow.  Thanks so much for giving us such an inspirational backstory.  And  it looks like we have friends in common.  Please reach out to me if you ever want to talk more about those acquaintances (smith@maddiesfund.org or ippsmith@mac.com).  

Mary

Mary Ippoliti-Smith
    Maddie's Fund
    510-453-4773

• 13.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 03-26-2021 01:25 PM
    Lucy, what an incredible story.  It really does boil down to the things that really matter in life!!  Thank you so much for sharing it with us.  It is an honour (yes, Canadian sp!!) and a privilege to say I know you and to count you a friend and a colleague.

Kathy

Kathy Duncan
    City of Brampton Animal Services
    905 874 3564

• 14.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 08-10-2021 09:53 AM
    Thank you so much for sharing this story Lucy! I greatly enjoyed getting to know you more.

Sara Miller
    American Pets Alive!

• 15.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 08-11-2021 07:53 AM
    It's just amazing how things you need to get you by come at you at just the right time. Thank you, Lucy, for sharing this story. It has made a positive impact on me!

Sarah Chiles

• 16.  RE: Keep Showing Up and Keep Giving a Sh*t

Posted 08-11-2021 08:43 AM
    Thank you for sharing Lucy. On any given day, we sometimes get caught up in one person's negative comment or criticism, and we let the other hundreds of positive interactions be overridden by the one negative one.  So glad your niece is NED.  #keepshowingupandkeepgivingashit

Phillip Zimmerman