The Social Corner

• 1.  My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-08-2021 10:58 AM
    Hi All! 
    This is my first first post and if you know anything about me, I don't do social media much. I was 'highly encouraged' to start a Team Shelter USA F...bo..k page (the name that shall not be said!) and post every 2 months if that. Anywho....this particular post is introducing you to my following posts and I think I am supposed to keep things brief but this is your intro. As a native New Yorker, I moved to Florida 20 years ago to escape the cold but alas....I missed the mountains (I grew up mostly in the mountains). So 2 years ago I set out to look for a place to snowbird/live where I fit in. My not so short list included:

1. said mountains
    2. small town/community of nice people
    3. recycling/upcycling/all cycling prioritized and obsessively ecofriendly
    4. I also think I am a creative type and wanted to be around creative types
    5. and need I say...SOLID BLUE

So of course, I set out looking for properties in the Asheville, NC area where I am considered a 'half-back'. Those are us New Yorkers who move to FL then move half-way back to NY and settle in NC. I fell in love with a neighboring town called Black Mountain and am attaching some pics and a video of why I agree with onlyinyourstate.com who rated Black Mountain in the top 10 underrated  towns in NC.  I'll make you another list for easy reference and see if you agree that Black Mountain freaking ROCKS!

1. first, check out the neighbor sign that I've seen around town (heart emoji)
    2. check out the video of the Black Mountain General Hardware Store (circa 1928, with a staff likely born that year)
    3. when I say 'you can get anything at the BMGHS, I mean it! In one haul I got a jar of pickles (BMGHS homemade brand), a toilet brush and a compost container 
    4. I was driving through town the other day....and this is not a joke....there were random people on the street corner in the middle of town with giant signs that simply said 'LOVE'. Everyone was beeping like crazy and waving and I attached a picture of photographic evidence. 

Ok so that is your introduction to drumroll...my new house in Black Mountain that I moved into one week ago and since I fancy myself an interior  designer and convinced I could make a living doing it...I will be sharing my design creations as I take this empty slate of a house to a sanctuary of peace, joy and inspiration. 

So stay tuned and I'll post again in 2 months (if I remember!).

PS I also loooove pigs! 

------------------------------
    Sara Pizano
    Team Shelter USA

• 2.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-09-2021 05:28 AM
    Woot! Woot! Sara
    Welcome to a corner of the world that those who live close have known about.
    I live about an hour away and love to visit The Light Center and catch lunch at one of the quaint little cafes.  Love Black Mountain hope you do too neighbor!

ingrid norris

• 3.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-09-2021 07:04 AM
    Thanks Ingrid!

Sara Pizano
    Team Shelter USA

• 4.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-09-2021 08:55 AM
    Congratulations on your new house and town, Sara!

Shelly Thompson
    Maddie's Fund

• 5.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-09-2021 08:58 AM
    Congrats Sara, I love that part of the country. The mountains and the people are amazing. Hope to come to see it again soon!

Donna Casamento
    Executive Director
    Palm Valley Animal Society
    Edinburg, TX
    803-348-1336 (cell)
    www.pvastx.org

• 6.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-09-2021 09:30 AM
    Dr. P, I think you found the real Mayberry USA!  Wow, still rocking on those great Love Signs!  Who knew that you could find all this and more in North Carolina.  Their Chamber of Commerce should hire you.....but after you retire.....we still need you!

Mary Ippoliti-Smith
    Maddie's Fund
    510-453-4773

• 7.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-09-2021 11:38 AM
    Congrats on finding your perfect place, Sara!  Makes me want to visit. And shop at the general store 😻  Keep us posted!

alison gibson

• 8.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-11-2021 09:13 AM
    Love the signs and general store.  Congrats on your half move!

Nora Vondrell

• 9.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-14-2021 04:53 AM
    Looks beautiful Dr. P!  Congratulations on your new home.  I will have to try and check out the town of Black Mountain one day, if the border ever opens up again....

Kathy Duncan
    City of Brampton Animal Services
    905 874 3564

• 10.  RE: My Long Journey to Black Mountain, North Carolina!

Posted 03-14-2021 05:42 AM
    Yes, Kathy!

Sara Pizano
    Team Shelter USA