2022 Open Arms Challenge

View Only
  • 1.  Shorter Adoption Applications

Posted 12-09-2021 11:22 AM
    As part of the challenge, we are looking at potentially revamping/shortening our adoption application. We are, however, struggling on what to omit. Does anyone who has gone from a long application to a shorter version have any examples or advice to share? I did see the updated versions from Foothills Animal Shelter but am curious what other shelters are doing. 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    HSHCMeganB _

• 2.  RE: Shorter Adoption Applications

Posted 12-10-2021 07:37 AM
    Hi Megan! This is something I am working on as well, and I'm so conflicted on what is important to keep and what is an unnecessary barrier. Looking forward to what might be shared! 

Thank you, 
    Elise

Elise Ramsey
    Little Traverse Bay Humane Society

• 3.  RE: Shorter Adoption Applications

Posted 12-13-2021 11:42 AM
    Hi @HSHCMeganB _ and @Elise Ramsey

Would you be willing to share what your current adoption applications look like? If we see what fields you currently have, as a group we may be able to suggest which of your current questions could be omitted to help shorten things up.

Thanks! ​​​

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her

• 4.  RE: Shorter Adoption Applications

Posted 12-13-2021 11:49 AM
    We've moved our application completely digital with ipads for in-person applications. Here's the link! https://www.hamiltonhumane.com/adoption-application

HSHCMeganB _

• 5.  RE: Shorter Adoption Applications

Posted 12-14-2021 03:42 PM
    Thanks for the link! It's awesome that you've made it completely digital so anyone can fill it out wherever they are. I hope it's okay, I took a bunch of screenshots as I was going through the application and compiled them into an attached PDF so that others could share their thoughts or suggestions without needing to fill out the form. Plus I didn't want your adoption coordinator to get hit with a bunch of "test" applications, they've got enough to do.

I've also attached a great resource from HSUS as part of their Adopters Welcome manual about relying on conversations instead of applications.  With that shift, they've created a questionnaire that they ask potential adopters to fill out to help guide the following conversations they have with them. There's a word doc of that questionnaire so you can easily edit and adapt it to fit your org's needs. 

A couple other examples of shorter conversational adoption applications  were shared on a previous thread in the forum so I've attached those here as well for some inspiration.

Are there any challengers who have switched to the more conversational style adoption applications?

Charlotte Otero
    Community Strategist at Maddie's Fund
    she/her