2022 Open Arms Challenge

View Only
  • 1.  Feedback on community survey

Posted 11-05-2021 04:16 PM
    Hey all, 

Our organization is creating a survey to take the temperature on what our community most needs from animal services right now, and what its biggest barriers are in getting those services. We are going to distribute the survey physically and digitally, in English and in Spanish.

I'm looking for some feedback on our English survey, for example:
    1. Is the wording clear?
    2. Does the order of the questions make sense?
    3. Do any of the questions feel off-topic or unnecessary for the purposes of this survey?
    Any feedback would be much appreciated. The paper survey is here, and the link to the online survey is here.  Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: If anyone who speaks/understands Spanish would like to proofread the Spanish version for grammar and clarity, here it is: HTAT Encuesta Comunitaria

------------------------------
    Anna Domings
    Here Today Adopted Tomorrow Animal Sanctuary

• 2.  RE: Feedback on community survey

Posted 11-06-2021 01:14 PM
    Hi Anna, I thought they looked good!

I didn't read all the questions in the online survey, because it looks like the same questions in a different format.

For the paper survey I have a couple of suggestions which are all about formatting and font in order to get a better return rate:
    • Try to keep all possible answers to a question together on one page
    • Have you played with the font and format to try to fit it neatly on 2 pages?
    • Ideally you could design it as a foldable return-mailer, so that when folded at least one side could have your organization's mailing address on it, space for a return address, and--if anyone still does the discounted bulk mailing, have that postal information where a stamp would be.  If it can't reasonably fit on a sheet of 8.5 x 11 paper, perhaps moving to 11 x 17, and asking a few more questions or adding some other information would be worthwhile for you.
      • You could consider adding an open-ended question at the end regarding what they see as the most urgent animal welfare and service needs for animals in their community.  It might encourage non-pet owners to throw out suggestions or somehow engage.
      • Do you want to encourage further engagement?  Volunteer, donate, attend open house?
    Good luck with this!  It's great to encourage community engagement to focus on needed services.

April King
    Volunteer and Board Member
    Kotor Kitties

• 3.  RE: Feedback on community survey

Posted 11-10-2021 10:35 AM
    Hi April, thanks for taking a look! Good suggestion about reformatting to fit on two pages--I was trying to figure out ways to get it as short as possible, since it can be hard to get people to take a survey to begin with. So this is a very welcome suggestion. 

Thank you for reminding me to include questions about further engagement!! I totally forgot to put that in, and it is important to me that we communicate that people are welcome at our shelter not just as clients, but as partners/donors/volunteers/etc. I will definitely add that in. 

The idea of adding in an open-ended question at the end is a good one... I thought perhaps that was covered by Question 4, with the option to specify "Other," but I think you're right: the wording of the question may not seem relevant to non-pet owners, and besides, I read that survey participants rarely use the "Other" option when you present them with closed-answer alternatives. Something for me to think about, for sure!

Anna Domings | she/her

• 4.  RE: Feedback on community survey

Posted 11-10-2021 11:04 AM

Hi Anna,

This is awesome - I LOVE the idea of asking your community what they need!

I just took the online survey, so if you have a response from eby@maddiesfund.org, it's me.

As I finished the survey, I got this screen which I wasn't eternally sure what it meant or what to do next.  When I clicked Option 1, the survey submitted.

Otherwise, the survey made sense - questions were clear and the survey flowed easily.

I LOVE all of April's suggestions, too.   I am more likely to fill out things that are shorter for sure.  

Thanks for sharing!
    Amber 

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 5.  RE: Feedback on community survey

Posted 11-10-2021 11:13 AM
    Thanks for your feedback, Amber! Lol, whoops, that's because I've been editing the survey. I must have added a section by accident. Thanks for letting me know!

Do you have an idea of approximately how long it took you to take the survey?

Anna Domings (she/her)

• 6.  RE: Feedback on community survey

Posted 11-10-2021 01:13 PM
    Oh that makes sense.

It took me less than 10 minutes.  I wasn't being super thoughtful about my replies in the way someone in your community will be, but I was reading for clarity and grammar/spelling so that should even it out, right?  Like it shouldn't be too time consuming for most of your community members.

Amber Eby
    Maddie's Fund

• 7.  RE: Feedback on community survey

Posted 11-12-2021 08:09 AM
    Awesome! I was aiming for less than 10 minutes so that's great. Thank you both for your help with this! The survey is set to go live tomorrow in both English and Spanish. We are excited to get some feedback.

If anyone speaks/understands Spanish and would like to look over our Spanish version, to proofread for grammar and clarity, here it is: HTAT Encuesta Comunitaria

Anna Domings (she/her)